DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

I have an issue with my mother that I have had for over 30

I have an issue with my mother that I have had for over 30 yrs. She has an issue with her bowels. Can't control them. We have had her to numerous Dr's and Gastroenterologists, and to no avail. Her sister and one daughter have Crohns and she has had numerous colonoscopys and all have been without merit. The only time that she has not had trouble is when she had a stroke in 2006. For a few weeks during that time it was as she had normal bowel movements. It's as if a brain - gut reaction is going on and we have never found anything to break that. Is there any help out there. As she ages this is getting to be a real problem and a real mess. Please help.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
OK
This can be from IBS..irritable bowel ..but chronic constipation of the constipation component is what allows stool to build up, then a lack of control in most cases...
It is probably getting worse at this point due to age, possible the stroke, and possibly a problem with sphincter tone...also lower back spine disease can make this worse if she has disc problems....
All these need to be looked at ..but the dietary intervention in any case is a large variety of soluble fiber.

A completely plant based cooked diet is often most useful...but hat is difficult for people to do.

If you can get here to have the following every day..this might have an effect in 6 to 8 weeks.

daily
Cooked and ground flax seed 2 tbs
peeled apples
stewed fruit...one to 2 servings
pealed and steamed veggies..2 types ant each meal
oat bran
extra water
walking as tolerated.

Here doctor can give here a prescription med rather than immodium but it might just perpetuate the underlying problem..so this should be tried first.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She has never had constipation problems, and at least 2-6 very loose stools a day. If any kind of vegetable or fruit only seems to aggrivate the problem.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
What type of veggie and fruit and how cooked?
Then I will have some more suggestions...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Any kind of fruit except apples. She can tolerate greenbeans but nothing else. Any califlower or brocolli is disasterous. No corn or cabbage either. Her bowel movements are nothing but slime, I've cleaned up many. It's not a normal bowel consistency. (sorry but I am a med tech and don't mean to be gross, just honest).
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
Are these all cooked?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes. Raw is not an option but even cooked does not matter. They all react the same way.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
First of all cooked apples are specific for diarrhea
Get her a blood test called celiac panel....to make sure that this is not gluten sensitivity which can cause cross reactivity with a lot of foods.

5 stool samples should go for parasite analysis.

An elimination diet might help if gluten is negative.

This is done by an MD with this training...functional medicine, and these are experts in bowel health.

Find a practitioner on this site
www.functionalmedicine.org

the bowel not only has to be treated but repaired.
Add probiotics
Add probiotics such as coloncare by twin lab
Add glutamine for bowel cell heatlh.

.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
We have tried everything he has suggested. Celiac panel was negative, we have had her on probiotics for months.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
Please use reply
Other experts have looked at your relist and had nothing to add.

Celiac panel negative..good
And has she had IgG food sensitivity testing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
Unfortunately when all of the work up and doctors that are taking care of her are stumped you have to look at what might have been missed
lower spine problems
fructose intolerance
food allergy/sensitivity
Chronic parasites if not checked. Takes 5 stool samples.

The IgG food sensitivity testing is new but is an apparently guide to eliminating the most offending foods...then things often get better as well.

This and fructose are most commonly missed...the later being tested with a hydrogen breath test.

Chronic flora imbalance of the gut can occur and very few doctors test for it..with comprehensive stool analysis.

Correct this, as opoosed to avoiding fructose or specific foods, would involve treating the imblance , first with the correct antibiotic, then with probiotics as well as the correct supplements to heal the bowel.

so I see three things that haven not been looked into, maybe four.

The doctors trained to do this can be found here
www.functionalmedicine.org

They have a find the practitioner section where you can use zip code and track down an MD or DO trained in this.