Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

You may respond to this question if you have the knowledge

You may respond to this question if you have the knowledge & experience working with knee problems as described below. Answers stating just go to a sports medicine doctor will not be acknowledged.

History I had a damaged lower patella about 6 years ago, on "my right" knee, eventually everything was fine and the doctors said it is as good or better than originally, there was no surgery required but walking with a straight leg brace and rehab did the job over 8-10 weeks.

Several years had gone by and problems began developing regarding the same lower patella. I walked straight legged as before and after a few weeks began my old rehab exercises again and it seemed to strengthen well.

However, I did something wrong in one of 3 exercises , in the past 2 weeks, and now I am in extreme pain in the knee joint whenever I put pressure on it as in walking, it does not stop. I can perform on an elipitcal if I keep the weight on the heel of the leg or on the toe but if the leg is straightened as on a treadmill the pain is very evident. The pain is located on the "my right" knee and when facing the knee just as it turns into the inside of the leg on the shin side of the knee joint. What's Up?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

It is likely that you have developed tendonitis and bursitis. Following measures would help you;

1) Stop all the exercises for two weeks or till the pain comes down to zero. Than a very gradual exercise regime is started. Ideal would be to start exercise supervised by a physical therapist or MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation.
2) Cold compresses.
3) Local analgesic cream.
4) Ibuprofen.
5) Knee brace.
6) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.

c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

d) Avoid climbing stairs.

e) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging. f) Reduce weight if over weight/obese.
7) You may need deep electrotherapy which is done at physical therapy centers.
8) Steroid injection also may be occasionally advised; when above measures are not adequately beneficial

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun