A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I hit the back of head Saturday very hard, A very sore knot

Customer Question

I hit the back of head Saturday very hard, A very sore knot came up Monday on the back of my head, this morning the knot is gone from the back of my head but the side of my neck on the side that was injured has swollen and sore. Looks like I got the mumps. Any concerns I should be worried about?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. The swelling may be lymph nodes swollen from draining the lymph system in the area. Swelling follows any form of infection or inflammation in the area of that particular lymph system. A hard hit to the head can cause a mild concussion and that really should be checked out by your medical provider. The swelling may be secondary to that, or not related at all and caused by some other infection or inflammation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, but I live 90 miles from a doctor, I am single so don't think I need to try to drive myself to the doctor. Will just sit it out. Thanks.

You're quite welcome. Good luck. I hope it is nothing but inflammation from the hit you took on Saturday.