Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Hello , My name isXXXXX just recently became unemployed

Hello , My name isXXXXX just recently became unemployed and hence do not now have any health ins. coverage. Starting last thursday april 26th. I made the mistake of ingesting some store bought ham salad that was expiring the same date around 4:00 pm. of course it tasted fine. About 4 hrs. later, A deep seated burning began to be noticeable in my gut. I have been overseas in the military & had an experience with food poisoning before. And so figured I could ride it out as I did 25 yrs.ago. The burning symptoms increased. I did not eat but drank water & cranberry juice to flush out bacterial toxins. I did this for the next 36 to 40 hrs. until symptoms subsided. I began to feel more normal inside and better overall. I resumed eating & drinking normally for the next 36 hrs. However midday sunday,the burning began to return.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Where exactly are you feeling the burning? (upper abdomen? left? right?)
Any fever?
Back pain?
Chest pain or burning?
Weight loss?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Burning,Lower abdomen just above groin and slightly to the left mostly/ some body fever mostly located around abdomen,chest,neck./diarrehea self induced with magnesium hyroxide starting to subside now/ vomiting on the 1st day of symptom onset/ backpain yes, varying intensity both sides lower. /weightloss yes, from 174 to 168 this am./ Additionally, some burning discomfort just above hips on both sides in front above groin, subsiding somewhat now
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Was (or is) the area above the groin to the left tender if you pushed on it?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thank you Mark.

Without being able to do an exam, I cannot diagnose exactly what is going on as I am sure you understand.
However, I can give you an idea as to what the potential issues are.
First, and what would be one of the most concerning, is diverticulitis.
This is an infection of pockets (called diverticuli) that can develop in the left side of our colon.
Diverticulitis can cause pain, a change in bowel habits and fever. The pain may radiate to the back.
This infection can be serious as it can lead to an abscess in the abdomen if not treated with antibiotics in some cases.

It is also possible that you have had gastroenteritis (the stomach flu or a food borne illness). As you know, these can cause vomiting, diarrhea and fever. These are usually self-limited illnesses that resolve in a few days without treatment.

Bladder infections and kidney stones can also cause symptoms in the area you are describing.

Diverticulitis, if very mild, may occasionally respond to bowel rest (liquid diet only). This may be why you felt better initially and now feel pain again...

If you are experiencing increasing pain in the left lower abdomen again, I urge you to consider an being checked out. Other reasons that warrant an exam--bloody diarrhea, recurrence of fever, dizziness/dehydration symptoms.

I would not take anything for the bowel symptoms at this time (no magnesium) as this may cloud your true symptoms.
As for diet--if your pain is gone, stick with bland foods (bananas, rice, toast, pastas, potatoes, apples, cereals, boiled vegetables).

I hope that you feel better soon.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have after reading this,

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the burning is subsiding just a bit , But i dont want to feed the condition again . how soon shoud i start eating if at all?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
I would wait until the burning is gone...(stick with liquids for now if you can...avoid coffee which stimulates the gut)

Then, start with a low residue diet which includes white rice, pastas, boiled vegetables, skinless and seedless fruits, lean meats.
If the pain recurs again, I feel you should be checked out if at all possible.

Dr Abby