Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I was kicked in the chest 5 days ago and went to the minor

I was kicked in the chest 5 days ago and went to the minor injury unit, my O2 sats where fine and as they do not treat broken ribs I was sent home on the condition I went back if the pain changed or worsened. On Friday I woke up with lower right sided back pain under my ribs. I saw my GP who thought there was no air going in to the bottom of my right lung although my O2 sats where still fine. The GP sent me to the hspital for an xray. At the hospital I was monitored for 2.5 hours and had a clear ECG. I was told by the hospital doctor the GP did not know what he was doing and I did not need a chest xray unless I wanted one. Not wanting to waste resources I left although the doctor did listen to my chest and said it sounded fine to him. I now have pain in the middle of my chest just to the left of where one of the horses hooves kicked me, it feels like pressure on my chest almost indegestion feeling, I am still ok active and apart from being sore and a bit dizzy from the pain I am fine.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 years ago.
Greetings.

Do you have breathlessness / shortness of breath?
How many ribs were broken?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know how many ribs are broken if any as not had an xray as in the UK they do not Xray broken ribs. I was kicked in the middle of my chest just to the right and the other hoof hit just above my left collar bone on my neck. I am breathless in the same way I have been since the kick last Wednesday. It hurts every breath but most at the end of exhaling

Since there is no increase in your symptoms; I would not be worried, especially when the auscultation at the hospital and monitoring did not reveal anything abnormal. Chest injuries are significantly painful for 2-3 weeks. Since 5 days have passed, chance of any lung and heart complications now are not much likely.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the pain has changed from being where the kick was at the front of my chest (which is still sore and bruised) but I now have dull ache in my lower back under my ribs to the right, some sharp right shoulder pain and the increased pressure on my chest and the feeling of a lump in my throat. Could this be due to anxiety or the bruising spreading? I had similar symptoms before not following a trauma and it turned out to be a massive PE. This pain is like a kicked bruised chest and a PE. I do not think it is anotgher PE but the pain is similar difficult to pinpoint and no where near the original injury. With the PE I thought it was anxiety until the scan showed a massive PE, I then developed a large DVT due to HIT this was 2 years ago. I am fit and active and on fondipunuax anticoagulatant injections so bruising would be extensive

Your symptoms are likely due to the anxiety and spreading of bruising. The symptoms are also changed because there is a small change in the posture and breathing pattern due to pain. With the anticoagulant; PE is not likely. Trauma is also unlikely to cause PE. I agree, the symptoms are quite similar, so anxiety can supervene. With a good duration of monitoring, not showing anything significant, at this point of time; nothing worrisome is anticipated.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr., Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not an overly anxietios person but happy to accept this is the case, I am still caring for my 5 horses, riding (gentle) and working so had hoped I would be able to distract myself from the pain and start breathing properly. Is there anything I can do to help the symptoms and reduce the anxiety, as I said I am trying to keep busy and not dwell on the pain but it brings me up short mid sentance or activity. With the PE my sats where normal and I carried on working and actually competiting my horses then I developed the DVT from groin to ankle and I still tried to ride and then drove to a friends party and walked around with it for 5 days until it was scanned and I had thrombolysis so I do tend to just carry on. Should I do this for the chest pain in the hope it will just go away?
I think you are doing the right thing; keeping yourself busy. But instead of strenuous activity like taking care of horses and riding; rest would be advised. That would help in your symptoms. That does not mean staying in bed or home; but going to friend's or relative's place, talking to people, watching a movie, going outdoor, would be advised. With your medical history; am I suspecting a PE again? No I am not. Do you have risk of PE; with the anticoagulant, chance are nearing zero. Relaxation techniques, meditation, mild stretching of lower portion of body (while lying down) may be beneficial.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine