DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.

My wife, Carol has constant muscle pain in her left thigh from

My wife, Carol has constant muscle pain in her left thigh from the knee to the upper quad. A year ago she had a successful left hip replacement and ten years ago suffered a traumatic c6-c7 incomplete neck injury that left her completely paralyzed.
Since then she has been constantly recovering and is walking with the aid of canes. Since the injury she continues to periodically recover more nerve sensations – like thawing out from frost bite – nerves heal so very, very slowly.
The thigh pain occurred before the hip replacement but became worse as the deterioration of the hip occurred. Thus far no one has been able to diagnose or explain it and thus offer any relief.
Your thoughts or questions please?
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 2 years ago.
Hello
Who has been in charge of ordering physical therapy?
What type of doctor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her orthopedic physician
OK
Usually this type of situation is from structural strains and patterns that get fixated even more after a surgery.
The correct PT often does not get done.
The doctor she needs to see is a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor for assessment which unfortunately does not happen enough...it is a separate specialty and she does not need a referral. These MDs are also called physiatrists.

A physiatrist is an MD or DO doctor of physical medicine and rehabilitation, who will tailor a physical therapy to you and your tests, and can do the tests, and who will also use novel electronic and traction therapies, and can handle pain control or work with your pain control doctor and your other doctors.
The reason physical therapy often does not help is because it is not individualized.
This doctor will do that as well.
These doctors...physiatrists are oriented to improving the situation to the point that you don't need surgery or medications.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. This is a good direction. As you know physiatrist have different specialties. 8- 10 years ago, our physiatrist was a spinal cord specialist. The most recent one is a pain specialist. It would now appear that the physiatrist, physical medicine & rehab Carol needs is one that is more muscle and nerve oriented.

Do you think for this condition a Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Sports Medicine physician is the one to go with?

Yes that would be excellent
They can seven do an EMG/NS study in the office to see if there is nerve damage.

DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience: Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.