Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

I am 36, going on 37 and have recently quit smoking. I have

I am 36, going on 37 and have recently quit smoking. I have a high pack year history. 28-32 pack years. First, as I am younger and there is a incidence of lung cancer in my family are there any recommendation on supplements or diets that are recommended. My grandparents had cancer at 72 and 67, my father at 61. I am OCD and have smoked due to stress (or to deal with). Please note, all of my relatives above passed while smoking, they never stopped.

I am going to be exercising on a regular basis and going to Yoga. To help deal with Stress.
I am going to have a diet consisting of plenty of fruits and vegetables.
I am also going to cognitive therapy to deal with my OCD tendencies and stress.

I also have considered taking the following:

1000mg of Vitamin C as a supplement
2000mg of Vitamin D3 as a supplement
100mg CoQ10
200mg Alpha Lipoic Acid
Omega3 - Krill Oil 300mg
A mens one a day.

Are there any of the above you would / would not recommend, and what do you think about Glucosamine Sulfate as well.

Also, am I quitting at a good time, or is the damage already done? Just concerned about my cancer risk and what do to anything to fight it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

There are a few questions you need to answer which will help me assist you in a better way.

If i am not wrong, you are asking about how much risk do you have to develop lung cancer and various measures to reduce these risk?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
correct

Thank you.

Well, the positive thing about you is that you have decided to quit; and i will suggest you not to smoke again for that is the most important step to prevent the development of cancer.

For lung cancer the most important modifiable risk factor is smoking, and you have stopped it.

Risk is highest among current smokers and lowest among nonsmokers. If you do not smoke for next 20 years, the relative risk will decline greatly.

I will suggest you to read out this very useful and easy to understand article regarding lung cancer prevention;

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/prevention/lung/Patient/page3

Now coming to the second part of your question, regarding the vitamin supplements you are taking;

In general these are all very safe and useful supplements, having anti-inflammatory properties as well and can benefit you long term.

However, there are still a number of clinical trials going on to safely conclude that such supplements have a definitive role in cancer prevention or not.

There is no definitive proven role of glucosamine in lung cancer prevention. There are small studies suggesting a link between the two, but further large and significant studies are required to prove this.

Certain dietary modifications, such as switching from high fat diet to low fats, plenty of green vegetables and fruits do have a protective role.

You have taken right steps, and based on this i can confidently say that if you continue with these measures, the chances of developing a cancer will be greatly minimized.

Lastly, an important thing; you should avoid second hand smoke as well.

Here is another useful link;

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/lung/basic_info/prevention.htm

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

Kindest Regards XXXXX XXXXX luck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, one more quick question. I hate a CT scan in October and everything was clear no cancer. I am assuming it is safe to assume that if I smoked until yesterday, I am probably still okay, correct?

Yes, CT scan is a very sensitive test and if that was normal, you should not worry.

If you do not have any new symptoms, yes, i will also assume that you are fine.

Kindest Regards XXXXX XXXXX luck.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties