DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.
24257177

RA-nik

Customer Question

I traveled to egypt a few weeks ago and had major allergic reactions to the dust and smog. cairo had just had one of its favorite dust storms. i had congestion, dry and itchy nose and throat, bloodshot eyes, and a lymph node on the left side of my face, along my lower jaw line, was swollen. all of this started around April 1 and i noticed the node while i was washing my face around april 2 or 3. it was very easy to feel, though it didn't show just by looking. it was pretty big, felt like gel, and moved easily. i took a bunch of ibuprofen for a week or so, on the recommendation of a doctor friend. the node went down considerably, my other symptoms got better too, and i came home on april 15. now it's more than two weeks after that, so about a month in all, and the node is still bigger than the one on the other side of my face. it moves slightly, but it is smaller than it had been so even that is less than it used to be. i have read that nodes after infection can take a really long time to go back to normal--should i be worried? is it worth trying to book an appointment with my doctor (i am due to travel out of the country again in a few weeks)? thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 2 years ago.
Hello
I do not think you should be too worried.
You are describing the salivary gland the parotid gland.
There is one on each cheek at the angle of the jaw.

They can swell from infection, irritation..stones, and sometimes from autoimmune disease.

What you should simply do is have an ENT doctor look at it..they are specialist and can tell if this is at all abnormal on exam.

Ir there is a stone blocking drainage the same doctor can remove it.

DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience: Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok--i will try to get to the ENT before i go--just to clarify, i have no other symptoms at all now, and am wondering what you mean by "stone blocking drainage" obviously, my first fear of a strange growth was tumor, but i imagine they don't shrink, but what is a stone?

n
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
i hot the wrong button and meant to reply with a follow up, not accept.
Please use reply if you need clarification

Parotid glands can from small stones.
Tumors don't shrink.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
this is a very terse reply, not worth 38 dollars.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
How else can we help you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what info do you need?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
So tell me about this - how big is it?
Is it continuing to get bigger, stay the same, or even smaller?
Is it painful?
Do you have any fevers?
Were you possibly bit by anything in Egypt such as sand flies or possibly did you bath in any body of water ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i was probably reacting to dust more than anything--no no swimming except in a chlorinated pool.
it has gotten much smaller, and there is no pain, fever, or anything else. it coincided with allergic reaction to dust.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Well it could be dust - and anytime I have been to these countries such as Egypt, Saudi, Afghanistan - you are going to get 'exposures' to something NEW - and your body can react to this - and hence it could be an allergic reaction also to food that you might have eaten that is new to you. And, the SMOG in Egypt is horrendous too - so this could cause all kinds of respiratory and gastrointestinal problems.
So, I would recommend a visit to your doctor, not necessarily an ENT, but a good checkup and physical would help.
I hope this helps, and if you have follow up questions, please ask
And, if you are satisfied, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i don't want any answer from this site.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Okay - thank you -
This might help you:
http://www.justanswer.com/refund/refund-1-2/refund.aspx