DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

RA - emc

Customer Question

I had a cervical fusion in my C-6-C-7 in October of 2011. I am still having severe pain in my neck, as well as numbness and pain down my left arm into my hand. I recently had a CT scan to check for fusion and I am fusing :). However, I am still in debilitating, burning pain at all times. My recent CT scan showsbilateral neural foraminal narrowing at my C-5-C6, trace retrolisthesis of C5-C6, Intervertebral disc space narrowing at C5-C6, disc bulge and secondary mile central canal narrowing at C4-C5, osteophyte at C5-C6 as well as bilateral neural foraminal narowing at C3-C4. I am a crossroads and feel almost like an annoyance to doctors at this point. My pain is severe! What do you suggest I do at this point? I am very happy about the repair of my C6-C-7, but cannot live in this much pain, with the possibility of my neck getting worse over time. Thanks so much for your help!
Amie Alfano
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
Who ordered the physical therapy
What type of doctor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My neurosurgeon ordered the physical therapy.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK

See an MD specialist called a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor.
We also call them physiatrists
Unfortunately all too few post op patients are referred to this type of of doc

A physiatrist is an MD or DO doctor of physical medicine and rehabilitation, who will tailor a physical therapy to you and your tests, and can do the tests, and who will also use novel electronic and traction therapies, and can handle pain control or work with your pain control doctor and your other doctors.
The reason physical therapy often does not help is because it is not individualized.
This doctor will do that as well.
These doctors...physiatrists are oriented to improving the situation to the point that you don't need surgery or medications.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This does not help me at all. I already see an amazing physical therapist. She does individualize my therapy. This does not answer any of my questions or how to treat my current status of my neck. This is not what I expected.. I thought there would be a physician that specialized in different areas to cater to specific medical conditions. this was a general answer that did not benefit me at all. Sorry
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
Please read the above post again
I am not recommending another physical therapist.
I am recommending an MD, also trained in medicine....that will use many more modalities than a physical therapies.

This is not a treatment site..this is an information site

I have treated your situation for many years extensively and have a 90% or greater success rate using this approach..which might involve electronic therapies..specialized traction devices that no other type of doc uses...etc.....

I only see one question in your original post

"what should I do at this point?"

What I have recommended IS what you should do.

Let me know if there are questions I have missed here.