Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT ACID REFLUX SURGERY. I HAVE SUFFERED

Customer Question

I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT ACID REFLUX SURGERY. I HAVE SUFFERED WITH HEARTBURN/REFLUX/STOMACH ISSUES ALL OF MY LIFE. I HAVE ELIMINATED SOOOO MANY FOODS/BEVERAGES FROM MY DIET. I DO NOT EAT GLUTEN....MOST DAIRY....NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, NO CHOCOLATE, NO SPICY FOODS, AND ON AND ON...YET I STILL HAVE HEARTBURN AND ACID. I TAKE 2 NEXIUM A DAY PLUS MY EAR, NOSE AND THROAT DOCTOR JUST ADDED ZANTAC AT NIGHT DUE TO MY SLEEP APNEA AND CHOKING SPELLS DURING THE DAY WITH I BELIEVE ARE LARYNGOSPASMS...AS MY FRIEND HAS THIS AND SEND ME THE INFO:(:(:(. I HAVE FIBROMYALGIA:(:(:(....IN 2003 MY GI DOC SUGGESTED THE ENTERYX IMPLANT AND I HAD IT DONE BUT IT DIDN'T HAVE TOO MUCH EFFECT OR GIVE ME MUCH RELIEF. MY GI DOC THINKS HE DIDN'T MAKE IT TIGHT ENOUGH:(:(.....WOULD ACID REFLUX SURGERY BE A GOOD THING FOR ME? I ALSO HAVE A CURVATURE IN MY SPINE, HIATAL HERNIA...AND OF COURSE TIRED OF PPI MEDS AND PAIN. I KNOW THERE ARE NEWER PROCEDURES AVAILABLE NOW. IVE HAD A FEW ENDOSCOPIES AND DILATATION TOO.......THANK YOU......
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.
Greetings.

If you have not got the pH study of esophagus and manometry (pressure study) of food pipe; that would be recommended. If these investigations abnormal; that suggests surgery for the hiatal hernia and acid reflux would be beneficial. Laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication (this is minimal access surgery / called as key hole surgery) has good results in cases like you.

Some doctors would get the following set of investigations for the hiatal hernia / reflux laryngitis and your manifestations;

1) Barium esophagography

2) Ambulatory 24-hour pharyngoesophageal pH monitoring

3) A biopsy of the larynx which may show laryngitis.

Since you are not responding to the medications; Nissen fundoplication surgery may be needed. Following specialists are needed to work in tandem for treatment;

1) ENT specialist

2) Gastroenterologist,

3) Speech therapist, and

4) Pulmonologist

Following measures are helpful, meanwhile, surgery is planned (you may be doing many out of them):

1) Small 5-6 meals a day.

2) Last meal should be eaten 3 hours before lying down.

3) Avoid; fried or fatty foods, chocolate, peppermint, alcohol, coffee, carbonated beverages, citrus fruits or juices, tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, vinegar.

4) Eat slowly so air is not swallowed.

5) Swallowing therapy by a speech-language pathologist.

6) Lose weight if obese or overweight.

7) Elevate the head of the bed by 6 inches.

8) Avoid tight clothing.

9) Stop smoking, if you do.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just catching up with this question as well. Do you know anything about the new incisionless surgery for Acid Reflux? That is done through the Laparascope??
Hello Kelly,

Yes, I know about it. It is called as Nissen fundoplication by the laparoscopy. Results are very good.

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it the same as EsophyX?
The TIF (Transoral Incision less Fundoplication) EsophyX procedure corrects the anatomical cause of GERD by reconstructing the anti-reflux barrier. This is incision less as one goes through the mouth while laparoscopy has a single key hole incision.
.