Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

bleeding ...cut my thumb at 5 pm yesterday...stopped a few

Customer Question

bleeding ...cut my thumb at 5 pm yesterday...stopped a few bleeding again last 4 please
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

There are a few questions you need to answer which will help me assist you in a better way.

How deep and long is the cut?

How severe is the bleeding?

Do you take any drugs on regular basis?

Any concurrent medical illness you suffer from?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
deep cuy on right thumb..3/8 s in. long..continues to bleed with a turnic on it..yes on meds on reg basis...yes on concurrent illiness

Which medications?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

7 carvediol....amlodipine....plavax....lisinopril....simvastatin....oxybutin....and a 81 mg. aspirin,which i did not take with my meds. last nite due to cut just in case i also took one hydrocodone 7.5 for pain...which i very seldom take because i wear a neck collar for pain level..slept bout 3 up and now bleeding bout 4 hrs none stop even wid pressure applied and turnic around my thumb

Thanks for the valuable input.

I think if there is persistant bleeding from the wound, you should get this examined by the doctor in ER.

A tourniquet is fine to control profuse bleeding for a short duration, but if applied for a long time, this can result in cessation of blood supply to the area beyond it, which inturn can cause tissue injury and death (necrosis).

The best way to control the bleeding from such kind of wound is to apply a pressure dressing, after cleaning the wound and applying antiseptic over it to prevent any possible infection (which can develop in it).

Plavix and Aspirin can make the bleeding worse, but if adequately controlled by pressure dressing, you can continue with these.

If the dressing also fails to control the bleeding, other measures like stitching the wound, ligation of the bleeder etc can be employed as well.

So right now going to ER for an urgent help seems to be the most appropriate plan.

You need not to panic as this is a common and treatable problem, and will settle down with appropriate treatment.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

Kindest Regards and Good luck.

It was a pleasure assisting you. If my answer was helpful, Please Click ACCEPT button to give me Credit.
A POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be highly appreciated. I will be glad to answer any Follow Up Questions.