Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

Hello doctor, Im having sleeping problems and it started

Hello doctor,

I'm having sleeping problems and it started yesterday. Didn't sleep all night and wasn't tired at all throughout the day and I'm having problems falling asleep again.

Right now, I have a cold and a sore throat and am taking Premethazine with codeine and Zitromax.

REturned from Beijing about 2 weeks ago and recovered ok from jet lag and thats when the cold started with a slight cough.

Everytime I fall asleep I get "jolted" awake and/or my breathing gets out of cycle. Is this normal? I think this occurred in the past and it went away but I coud get some sleep but now I cannot.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.

How is your sore throat now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still sore but better
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

Promethazine, codeine can cause sleep. Sometimes they can cause sleep disturbances. Sore throat, secretions can also irritate & disturb sleep. Now you should not try anything for sleep. Light food or fluid can be taken. Please try to relax. However, if you feel any breathing difficulty or shortness of breath you need to get an examination by doctor in ER.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had this problem last night and did not take any medication. It feels like I have anxiety about going to sleep. Normal?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.
How is the breathing issue now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just started tonight.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.
I feel you should take an examination by doctor. Doctor can take a few tests for it. You can try to take rest with head end of the bed raised.