Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

Have a 83 year old loved one who is in hospital, on a feeding

Customer Question

Have a 83 year old loved one who is in hospital, on a feeding tube. He recently suffered a couple of strokes, can't swallow any liquids or foods for last few months. Recovering good, but needs to find a solution to get him off the feeding tube. Any way we can get him swallowing fluids without choking? Much Thx, and much appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.
Greetings,

How long he is having the feeding tube? Did doctor suggest any other means?

Regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Doc, thx for your time. My Grandpa has been on the feeding tube for the last 3 months. The doctors where I am at have given me no advise or suggestions, seems they just want to keep milking us for money or wants to kick us out. They know they can't do anything more for him. Thats the place I live in and no disrespect, but doctors here where I live are quite hopless.

My Grandpa, even though he is on the feeding tube, looks very well, as I have brewed up veggie soups and chicken soup, instead of this milk the hospital give him.

Know he can recover because of his willpower and I have stroke therapist on his case everyday. Just need to get him off this feeding tube. Any chance?

Thx for your attention,

Best Wishes,

Jo M

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.
Is it nasogastric tube (through nose)or gastrotomy tube?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Its the nasogastric tube, yes through the nose,

Cool

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

After a stroke there can be swallowing difficulty. It may recover over time but can not be predicted fully. If he can not swallow you should not try to give fluid or food by mouth. As the reflex is not working properly he can aspirate. Feeding can be given by nasogastric tube as he is already having or it can be done by gastrotomy tube placed directly in the stomach. This can help to maintain nutrition.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
and one more question Doc, even though on the feeding tube, as long as there is nutrition, he should be ok?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.
Even though he is on the feeding tube, as long as there is nutrition, he would be ok, if there is no other complication.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thx for your help, now i have a better understanding of the current situation and what to do in the future, thx again, very much appreciated,

my Best Wishes to you,

Jo M

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 4 years ago.
You are always welcome to JA. Warm Regards.