Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Started an hour ago extremely dizzy sensation of thenworld

Customer Question

Started an hour ago extremely dizzy sensation of thenworld spinning when lying down or on side, semi dizzy when head is held upright at nornal position. Normal sensation when head held down. No prior episodes of dizziness. Eyes feel like they are moving side to side rapidly when lying down no nystagmus apparent to onlookers.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

The dizziness can be due to different factors.

There may be dehydration, loss of fluid, fall or changes of blood pressure, low glucose etc .

It can be the symptom of a neurological cause , bleeding, cerebellar diseases.

It may also occur from anxiety or stress.

Anemia or electrolyte changes can also be factors.

With spinning & change with position it can be feeling of vertigo from benign paroxysmal positional vertigo or labyrinthitis or inner ear problems.

But when it is a new symptoms, you should get an examination by doctor urgently.

Pl take plenty of fluid to keep good hydration.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you I understand the general causes and the dizziness and it obviously positional related as the difference in head positions is night and day from intense dizziness to being practically non existent depending on how the head is being held. This should rule out a number of differentials. I am looking more for a list if differentials that would fit with this positional vestibular like syndrome. Why when the head is bent down is everything normal and every other position is abnormal. Is this pathognomonic for any condition?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.
Change of symptoms with position is likely to be due to BPPV or benign paroxysmal positional vertigo but other differentials needs to be ruled out.

Malposition of the inner ear crystals is the cause of it.

Canalith repositioning can help to correct it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It mentions symptoms only lasting seconds to minutes maybe I am snot giving it enough time to equilibrate since the feeling is very discomforting. Should the feeling resolve if I force myself to lay down for a while? Is a rotational nystagmus always present?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.
Rotational nystagmus is pathognomonic but may not be present always.