Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

When I was 7 months pregnant I developed a pain in my right

Customer Question

When I was 7 months pregnant I developed a pain in my right upper abdominalarea just below my ribs. It has been 7 years and the pain is still there. It is mostly a burning sensation and sometimes becomes a sharp pain that shoots though to my back. I have had a ct, hidascan, ultrasound and bloodwork which all show a normal gallbladder and no masses. The pain does not change based on what I eat. I am lactose intolerant and I have endometriosis and poly cystic ovarian syndrome
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

What is your height and weight?

Dr. Owen :

hello

Customer:

height is 5'2" and 200lbs

Dr. Owen :

have you always been this weight?

Customer:

no. up until I was 21 I was very thin. never over 105lbs. my weight has steadily gone up since then

Dr. Owen :

What are you doing to treat the PCOS and endometriosis

Customer:

I have an IUD so i no longer get my periods so I don't have any pain from the endo or pcos, so no treatment

Dr. Owen :

So the pain is all in the upper right quandrant, correct?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Owen :

Have you discussed removing your gallbladder even though all the test is negative?

Customer:

yes. I saw a general surgeon a few months ago but she was not willing to do that based on the tests she ran. she didn't want to do surgery unneccissarily

Dr. Owen :

okay - but that was only one opinion

Dr. Owen :

And, many times you might not have a 'Typical' presentation.

Dr. Owen :

and removing the gallbladder laparoscopically is quite easy and honestly it might allow you to heal.

Dr. Owen :

Also, weight in of itself can cause you to have a lot of pain given your situation?

Customer:

i have been to my GP, my OB/GYN and a gastroenterologist and all of them have made me feel like i am crazy. i thought it might be possible that is was endo since I was pregnant at the time of onset. my last laparoscopy 8 years ago showed my abdomen filled with adhesions

Customer:

so maybe I should talk to another surgeon?

Dr. Owen :

Well that makes sense to have adhesions - and this could very well be due to Endomtriosis, but this could be due to an infection that you might had and then your abdomen essentially caused a 'fight' with an infection and hence you got this scared in pelvis and abdomen.

Dr. Owen :

So you might want to see if a combination of a General surgeon and a Gynecologist-Oncologist might join together to get you treated.

Customer:

would that have showed up on a ct? the surgeon said that since no adhesions showed there must not be any but I always thought that they were sometimes not visible in scans

Dr. Owen :

No

Dr. Owen :

Scar tissue can not show in any Scan.

Dr. Owen :

So a Laparoscopy should be done.

Customer:

ok. thanks. i think I will try to see another doctor

Dr. Owen :

I think that would benefit you tremendously

Dr. Owen :

I wish you the best.

Dr. Owen :

And, Gynecologists Oncologist can really help you

Dr. Owen :

But the general surgeon will still need to remove the gallbladder since this is a signal to your husband.

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

sorry - I meant to say

Dr. Owen :

the general surgeon will need to remove the gallbladder as a gynecologist oncologist does not do this surgery

Dr. Owen :

But they can both be scrubed in together - each doing their own piece of the surgery

Dr. Owen :

I hope that makes more sense

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Owen :

Great

Dr. Owen :

thank you for your question

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Are you still there

Dr. Owen :

If you have no more questions and satisfied, please click on ACCEPT, thank you