Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

If I have a torn meniscus if the front and back of my knee,

If I have a torn meniscus if the front and back of my knee, and I am scheduled for surgery this on 17th of May. Could that possibly cause my foot, ankle, and leg to be swollen, red, and sore to touch? Doctors have all said NO. It appears to be fluid under the skin, but took Lasik for 2 days with no results. With touchy kidneys, was told to quit taking Lasik if not helping. This has been going on for a week. Was tested for blood clot, that was negative, and getting blood test on uric acid tomorrow to see if possible gout. Just don't think that will show up and I still won't know what is going on. I thought of Cellulitis and RSD. Am I on right track, or what else could be going on? My foot gets so tight, it feels like it will explode!

You are on right track. Cellulitis would be the possible diagnosis; for your symptoms (swelling, redness and tenderness) of a week. Especially with blood clot being ruled out. Your doctor may consider prescribing you antibiotics. As you mentioned, gout is less. likely with your symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You. I fogot to mention that the ER doc who had the doppler test for blood clot done was not going to give me anything or attempt to find out what was going on when test was negative. I just plain asked him is he thought if could be cellulitis, and he said "No, it isn't red". I could not believe it, maybe he is color blind. Anyway, I asked if maybe I should have an antibiotic in case it was in "beginning stages". He agreed and prescribed 20 Keflex, 500mg. to be taken 2 every 6 hrs. Well, has not made any difference.
I am just so frustrated, I have been to Urgent Care, from there to E.R., then today to my PCP. (Was getting pre-admission testing for upcoming knee surgery). The only thing he was worried about was my blood pressure being very high, and afraid that I wouldn't be able to have surgery til it was down. Put me on another bp pill.
Why wouldn't my bp be high??? He asked me if I was stressed about something. !!!!!!!!
You are very welcome.

Even a physical stress on the body like infection / cellulitis can raise the blood pressure. Your doctor may consider a blood culture test, which is likely to suggest the best antibiotic effective against the infection. Your infection may not be sensitive to Keflex.

It is privilege assisting you.