Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

My grandmother recently passed from what is listed Spetic Shock.

Customer Question

My grandmother recently passed from what is listed Spetic Shock. Sepsis or other blood infections were never mentioned during her 2 year stay in a nursing home or her 3 week stay in the hospital. She was being treated for pneumonia and suffered from demensia. It was anticipated that she may eventually "run out of breath", and so all of the comfort medication such as morphine was administered. After 7 days in the hospital on the same floor as intensive care, her doctor mentioned that since her vitals were stable, she was healthy enough to return to the nursing home. For a week, he repeatedly said the same thing, about how they can move her now. They didn't move her due to pleading from my mother. On her 21st day in the hospital, she was moved to a floor further away from ICU, and subsequently died of septic shock. That same day, my mother called to appeal the move, but the doctor went on vacation, and by 3 AM, my grandmother transition.

In addition to the health issues surrounding her death, the nursing home lost my grandmother's dentures, and she was buried with someone elses. When my mother went to the nursing home, the social worker at the hospital had the dentures on her desk. One of the nurse's managers on the floor that my grandmother stayed on said, "Yes, I admit we are too loose around here." Do you recommend any action in these scenarios?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

What specifically are you looking to do?

Dr. Owen :

I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother and the way she was treated?

Customer :

I'm wondering if there was anything that resulted from the neglect of the nursng home or hospital. Could this possibly be some sort of neglect or malpractice that can be pursued legally and is the pursuit worth it?

Dr. Owen :

You might want to have a malpractice attorney review the medical and nursing home records.

Dr. Owen :

A good malpractice attorney does not charge anything up front.

Dr. Owen :

Based on what you said, there could be some malpractice if she had dementia and she needed more help than what she was getting.

Dr. Owen :

I Hope this helps, take care.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.