Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

im trying to find an all natural way to help insomnia, im

Customer Question

im trying to find an all natural way to help insomnia, i'm currently taking trazdodone(100mg) and mylan-zoplicone(7.5mg) daily at nighttime. i've been taking trazodone for over a month now and see no results so i use a combination of that and mylan-zoplicone which i find works pretty good. but i hate the fact that it is made up of harmful chemicals and i've heard its dangerous and sometimes lethal. now i'm going to see my doctor tomorrow but because i have hypothyroidism and i'm getting the symptoms of an overactive thyroid gland because i have recently lost weight, he is going to make me wait probably 6 weeks till its back to normal so he will not determine any other solution at this point, but the problem is i'm young(19) and my body is still changing so its impossible to coordinate a doctors appointment at the same time my thyroid is stabilized. so my question is do i wait that six weeks and keep pumping the sleeping pills into me potentially killing me? or should i take things into my own hands and consider an option i've heard helped alot of my family/friends/coo-workers which they say dramatically changed their life, their problems and avoid unnatural chemicals. Id like to see myself be prescribed marijuana for bedtime so i know i'm getting the most appropriate strain for my insomnia, like more of a muscle relaxing body high.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--first off is the insomnia problem seemingly from your being hyperthyroid? Second, prescription marijuana isn't indicated for insomnia so that might be a snag here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
even when my thyroid was stabilized i still never could sleep properly. marijuana was the only natural thing that made me sleep
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--so is your question just whether it would be reasonable to use marijuana for your insomnia?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
correct, id like to know if marijuana would be healthier then long term use of sleeping pills such as the ones i mentioned
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay--can you tell me what you mean by healthier?