How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 64013
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177
Type Your Health Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To start off, I have bad panic attacks, and I have what my

Resolved Question:

To start off, I have bad panic attacks, and I have what my old therapist calls "health phobias" (sort of like health related ocd).

Anyways...

I was just eating an orange - it was a bit soft, but not too bad. No visible mold on the outside, or bad spots. I do this thing where I cut a hole in an orange and suck out most the juice and then open it and eat the flesh. So I done the juice, and had eaten about half the orange. It tasted fine, not a perfect orange but not off-putting at all.

Then, I noticed a dark spot by the heart. I thought it was a seed pod, so I went to open it up and let out the seeds. And it was just this dark green fluff. I freaked and threw out the orange, and then looked online and I'm almost sure it was mold.

I'm a bit sensitive to mold (or used to be), but not allergic (I was tested). But I read that some molds on fruits produce poisonous toxins ( mycotoxins?) that can make you sick, but no one says HOW sick.

Anyway, I'm already feeling queasy I think just from panic, because that's how my panic rolls (it likes to mimic whatever symptoms I'm afraid I'm going to get...so I'm like this close to shaking and being sick, can totally feel it coming on, blah). And I'm already feeling blah-ish from pms/not sleeping well.

I'm just curious if this is something I should be worried about....
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
I would not worry about this at all.
Number one..you did not eat the bad part

Number 2..most food molds..the vast majority ..never cause a problem..even if you eat a lot more than that.

An remember this was surrounded by acid from the orange
Don't thin you have a problem here at all.

You would not get deathly ill even if you did have some mycotoxins in there....so even the worst case scenario is not bad.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

DrRussMD and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you