DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director

To start off, I have bad panic attacks, and I have what my

To start off, I have bad panic attacks, and I have what my old therapist calls "health phobias" (sort of like health related ocd).

I was just eating an orange - it was a bit soft, but not too bad. No visible mold on the outside, or bad spots. I do this thing where I cut a hole in an orange and suck out most the juice and then open it and eat the flesh. So I done the juice, and had eaten about half the orange. It tasted fine, not a perfect orange but not off-putting at all.

Then, I noticed a dark spot by the heart. I thought it was a seed pod, so I went to open it up and let out the seeds. And it was just this dark green fluff. I freaked and threw out the orange, and then looked online and I'm almost sure it was mold.

I'm a bit sensitive to mold (or used to be), but not allergic (I was tested). But I read that some molds on fruits produce poisonous toxins ( mycotoxins?) that can make you sick, but no one says HOW sick.

Anyway, I'm already feeling queasy I think just from panic, because that's how my panic rolls (it likes to mimic whatever symptoms I'm afraid I'm going to I'm like this close to shaking and being sick, can totally feel it coming on, blah). And I'm already feeling blah-ish from pms/not sleeping well.

I'm just curious if this is something I should be worried about....
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 4 years ago.
I would not worry about this at all.
Number did not eat the bad part

Number 2..most food molds..the vast majority ..never cause a problem..even if you eat a lot more than that.

An remember this was surrounded by acid from the orange
Don't thin you have a problem here at all.

You would not get deathly ill even if you did have some mycotoxins in even the worst case scenario is not bad.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.