Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

I accidentally stuck myself with a syringe after giving my

Customer Question

I accidentally stuck myself with a syringe after giving my dog an insulin injection. What should I do? Should I be worried? Should I seek treatment?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

So the syringe had insulin?

Dr. Owen :

Did you get any of the insulin in you?

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

How can I help you

Customer: The syringe had just been used, so unless there was some on the tip, I would say no.
Dr. Owen :

So no insulin got in you

Dr. Owen :

Is this YOUR dog

Customer: Correct. Yes it is my dog.
Dr. Owen :

Well realistically your dog is healthy and no diseases, correct, except diabetes

Dr. Owen :

but no rabies, etc, correct

Customer: As far as I know. No rabies, shots are up to date.
Dr. Owen :

Great

Dr. Owen :

Well realistically unlikely you are going to get sick or get any disease.

Dr. Owen :

So, do you really need to be seen.

Dr. Owen :

Unlikely

Dr. Owen :

But, I would suggest that you have your own vaccinations up to date such as Tetanus.

Dr. Owen :

And, dogs usually do not carry disease that transfer from the family dog to humans -

Customer: Had tetanus shot less than a year ago. Anyt other vaccines I should be concerned are up to date?
Dr. Owen :

No, there really are no other vaccinations that are needed since this is your dog and I assume the dog is fully vaccinated.

Dr. Owen :

You don't need to worry about HIV or Hepatitis since dogs do not carry that infects humans.

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps -

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Customer: Are there any signs /symptoms I should watch for? Great on the hepatitis/HIV.
Dr. Owen :

Well I would just check for any swelling or redness where you got stuck

Dr. Owen :

You might develop a mild cellulitis, but that would be unlikely too

Dr. Owen :

And, if you feel lethargic, and you are not feeling well - then get seen - but more than likely if you get sick within the next few weeks, this is a normal routine sickness, not the dog - but just in case you might consider to be seen

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

Do you have more questions.

Customer: Okay. I did clean it immediately with soap and water and then hydrogen peroxide. Howeve, I did squeeze it when I was cleaning it though afterwards ( from reading up on needles ticks), it appears I shoudln't have squeezed it. Is this a real problem?
Dr. Owen :

Realistically you will be fine - and not have any trouble from this.

Customer: Sorry, meant to say that I squeezed it when cleaning it, but read afterwards that I should not have squeezed it.
Dr. Owen :

Actually squeezing it is fine to do

Dr. Owen :

that is not a problem

Customer: Great. Thanks for your help.
Dr. Owen :

You are welcome

Dr. Owen :

Please click on ACCEPT if you have no more questions,

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

we only get credit when you ACCEPT, thank you

Dr. Owen :

much appreciated

Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate