Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I injured my ankle while running 4 weeks ago. I am in the midst

Customer Question

I injured my ankle while running 4 weeks ago. I am in the midst of training for my 2nd full marathon. I was seen at an urgent care center initially. I am finally getting in to see a physical therapist. My problem is that I function fine during the day but as soon as I try to fall asleep, it seems the pain increases. I am having trouble sleeping now.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 4 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

I would continue to use an anti-inflammatory med such as OTC Aleve 2 tablets twice a day with food. This should help in the residual inflammation that you are having.

Anthony Bray MD :

You may benefit to use an ACE wrap at night and see if this helps your comfort.

Anthony Bray MD :

You are doing the right things in caring for the ankle....

Anthony Bray MD :

You may benefit from a period of time with a brace when you do resume running....

JACUSTOMER-8al26c0a- :

Thanks. The marathon is 5 weeks away but I am trying to be realistic regarding my limitations.

Anthony Bray MD :

Right, I agree a marathon is some serious stress to the body. I would advise to wait for the next one to come around rather than push yourself and extend the injury....

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this has been helpful for you.

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have further questions, comments of discussion and I will be happy to get back with you.

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answer hasa been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD