Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

How can I increase the enzyme "diamine oxidase" in my body,

How can I increase the enzyme "diamine oxidase" in my body, is there a supplement I can take or what can I do to increase my body's production of this enzyme?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

What are your symptoms?
What are the investigations done?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Diarrhea three sometimes four times a day. My skin itches, I scratch until I bleed, develope some scaley patches, I have been to a skin specialist multiple times, he perscribed triamcinalon cream with 0.1% menthol applied to skin twice a day and Hydroxyzine HCL 25 MG- one to four times a day as needed. The combination of the two made the symtoms barely tolerable. As of January of this year, my health insurance has refused to pay for the Hydroxyzine ( they said I am too old to be taking this because it will make me drowsy. I am 79 yrs. old. And yes it does make me drowsy, however I am retired and my wife does all the driving. I would rather be drowsy, than itching to the point of insanity! I read an article that suggests, I have food allergies, and lists some of my favorite foods of course, but it says the problem is low levels of diamine oxidase. Is there a supplement I can obtain for this or is there something that will increase my bodies production of this.

Following natural supplements would increase the diamine oxidase in the body;

1) Mangosteen, which is a fruit extract available at health stores.
2) Butterbur.

The following foods can increase the diamine oxidase in the body;

1) chamomile,
2) saffron,
3) anise,
4) fennel,
5) caraway,
6) licorice,
7) cardamom and
8) black seed.

Selective testing for plasma peptides such as gastrin, calcitonin, vasoactive intestinal polypeptide, and somatostatin, as well as urine excretion of 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid, metanephrine, or histamine and other tests of endocrine function, such as measurement of thyroid-stimulating hormone and serum thyroxine levels or an adrenocorticotropin-stimulation test for adrenal insufficiency, can be considered by your physician, for your symptoms of diarrhea and itching. An aspirate of small bowel contents for quantitative culture or breath tests with glucose or isotopically labeled xylose can be used to establish the presence of small bowel bacterial overgrowth.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun