Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My 83 year old father fell and broke his arm a week ago. They

My 83 year old father fell and broke his arm a week ago. They would like to perform surgery on the arm and insert some type of plate. He has been suffering with mild chronic hyponatremia since January. His sodium level has been 122 since being in the hospital. The 'house' doctor 2 days ago indicated that a sodium level of 122 is too risky for surgery. The 'house' doctor yesterday tried to schedule the surgery even though his sodium level remains at 122 -- and we asked him to NOT to proceed with the surgery. What is your opinion -- is a sodium level of 122 too low to have surgery for a broken arm?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Well, the problem here is not so much the low sodium as it is why it's low. The level itself could be brought up with IV infusions of hypertonic saline--and that would have to be slowly--but this could indicate liver or kidney problems, medication problems, congestive heart failure, etc. So I would have all these areas investigated first before going ahead with the surgery.