Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hi what can be the cause of dried blood in urine? I did an

Hi what can be the cause of dried blood in urine? I did an ultrasound to see if everything was ok, all that was found is that I have gallstones. Can that be the cause of the black specks?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 5 years ago.
This is called as hematuria.Gall stones cannot cause this condition.Blood clots in urine can signify inflammation of the urethra or urinary bladder and kidney, nephritic syndrome, renal vein thrombosis, bladder tumor, kidney tumor, bladder cancer, renal cell carcinoma (a type of kidney cancer), obstruction of the urinary tract, sickle cell disease, polycystic kidney disease and blood disorders like hemophilia. It may also be caused due to the kidney failure.In your case as you told you got an ultrasound and no growth or stone was seen then it might be due to infection of urinary system.If it is infection then you need to take antibiotics for it.Make an appointment with your Physician for that.
Regards,
Dr.Naeem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My urine was checked and I was told I did not have an infection. I was also told that my ovaries and kidneys were fine. Can there be something missing that they are not seeing?
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 5 years ago.
If ultrasound is fine and there is no evidence of infection then your blood clotting profile should also be checked up.Obviously,there is some reason behind these clots in urine.It should not be ignored.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They said my ovaries were fine but on my last period, the blood was coming out dry, same thing for when I urinated. My NP told me that I needed to drink water. I said I needed a second opinion. Do you think that it may be a hydration issue?
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 5 years ago.
No,it does not look like a simple hydration issue only.I do not agree with her.Some time strenous exercise can also lead to this condition .Please also see this topic here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-in-urine/ds01013/dsection=causes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.

Lastly, what is microscopic bleeding? Also, is it possible for one to have both gall and kidney stones?
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 5 years ago.
Microscopic bleeding is that blood which can only be seen by microscope not by naked eye.It is not necessary to have gall stones and kidney stones at the same time as pathology of both is different.However,a coincidence can occur but very rarely.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay thank you for your help. I just hope I find out what is causing these black specks. It is making me really anxious. I have gone to the doctor multiple times for this because I began to see them this past March. It is frustrating when I am being told everything is fine when what I am seeing in my urine does not prove that. Then again, they say my urine is fine, no blood, just little flecks of skin (whatever that means). Thank you once again for your assistance.
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 5 years ago.
If they say these are little flecks of skin then it means maybe there are epithelial cells or casts present and one reason of their presence (apart from infection) is some break down in kidney cells due to dehydration.Maybe ,that is why rest of things are fine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If there is a breakdown in kidney cells due to dehydration, what can be done to rectify the problem? Drinking more fuids?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Did not answer
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

The dehydration is not likely to persist for so long. A cause has to be found by the further investigations; as ultrasound and urine exam are not sufficient enough or sensitive enough to pin point the issue. Urine culture and an ultrasound are the first investigative protocol (which have been done for you). Intravenous pyelography, CT scan, cystoscopy, etc need to be followed as the previous investigations are inconclusive. Following would be required in step wise fashion if these too are unable to zero down the cause;

1) Intravenous pyelography
2) Multidetector CT urography
3) Cystoscopy (camera examination)
4) MR urography.

Consulting a urologist would be best, XXXXX XXXXX yet done.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine