Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

Im having hives breakouts with my medications Im taking (metronidazole

I'm having hives breakouts with my medications I'm taking (metronidazole and ciproflaxacin hcl) can I take Benadryl for the rash?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

I would like to try to help you but I need some more information. Are you having any difficulties breathing? Have you ever had cipro or flagyl (thats the metronidazole) before? Are you allergic to anything...especially penicillin? How long have you been on this medication for?

Thank you for clarifying,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just over 24 hours. No difficulty breathing and no on being allergic to penicillin. I believe I have had both previously. I was told to not take anything with acetaminophen(probably wrong) if I did on accident which I did do, would that cause my rash? Does this help?
Hello Jacustomer,

I hope I can help guide you here. Please understand that online, no one can state with any certainty what anything is or is not, all we can do is give our best educated guess based on what you have written.

No, tylenol, which is what acetaminophen is, wont give a rash when combined with either the cipro or the flagyl.

Even though you write that you believe you have had both cipro and flagyl before, I cant rule out the possibility that the hives are due to an allergic reaction to either the cipro OR the flagyl. Especially as you don't seem too sure about it. Allergies to medications can be severe and life threatening, and can worsen quickly. Yes, if you have OTC benadryl, take as directed. BUT, STOP THE FLAGYL AND THE CIPRO...do not take them again until you have discussed this rash you have with your doctor. If you have a digital camera, take a picture of the rash you have now so your doctor can see it; its a good idea to call him or her tomorrow.

Meanwhile tonight: IF you start to have ANY difficulty breathing, or chest tightness, or swelling around your face or lips, CALL 911. That means the allergy, if this is one, is worsening, and it may be a matter of time before you can not breathe AT ALL. It may not even be a bad idea to GO NOW, because even though RIGHT NOW you can breathe and only have hives, allergic reactions can progress that fast. But, you do have benadryl, and that counters the reaction. BUT, if its severe, even the benadryl wont be enough, you will need hospital intervention.

Of note: IF the benadryl is liquid, and IF it has alcohol, not a good mix with the flagyl...alcohol and flagyl do not play nicely within the human body; stomach aches and cramps will be the unhappy result.

I hope I was able to help,
Sincerely,
Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness