Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness

I began feeling very sick about 3 weeks ago. My symptoms are

I began feeling very sick about 3 weeks ago. My symptoms are as follows:
-swollen/tender lymph nodes
-extreme fatigue
-muscle weakness
-tightness in chest with dry cough
-some itchiness
-loss of appetite

I feel similar to having mono. I had test to rule out Lupus. My blood tests were all normal. I have had Epstein Barr in the past, and my doctor attributes the symptoms to this. However, from what I have read, there is not evidence to support that EBV can re-occur over and over. One thing I will mention, is I had a hysterectomy about 2 years ago for adenocarcioma in situ. My doctor did suggest the extreme fatigue could be from malignancy. As I mentioned, my blood tests were normal. Any thoughts?

Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 4 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

I would like to help you, but need some further information...when did you have mononucleosis, and how long did it last? Where in the USA do you live? Do you go outdoors often/ outdoor activities like hiking or walking in the woods?

Thanks for clarifying,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had mono about 15 years ago. I've since had a blood test and tested positive for EBV...that was in 2006. The mono lasted for about 6 weeks.

I live in a suburb of Columbus, OH. We have had irratic weather this year. Very warm, but recently, we've had a cold spell. I do not have pets in the home. There are 2 smaller trees in my front lawn. I do ride my bike and rollerblade on a trail near my home. Hope this helps.

Hi Jacustomer,

Thank you so much for that additional information. While online no one can say with any certainty what anything is, we can certainly give our best educated guess as to what might be happening.

EBV does remain with you for life, actually, and it can reactivate. In most people, it causes no symptoms when it people who are immunocompromised, it surely can cause mono like illness. Of course, I cant say thats the case, but you do have a history of cancer and cancers can play havoc with the immune system. So, an investigation of whether that cancer has recurred definitely is a good idea.

You live in Ohio and like to bike...thats awesome and exercise is great. But I am wondering if you might have Lyme's disease, which is a tick borne illness. You mentioned blood tests were normal, but I don't think you were tested for Lyme's since you mentioned Lupus...I think your provider was thinking more about physiologic ills rather than environmental ones. The symptoms of Lyme's are fatigue, joint aches, fever...and while everyone associates that bulls eye rash with Lyme's disease, in about 20% of cases, the rash is not there, and in others, the rash is in a place the person can not never knew it was there. You may want to discuss with your doctor a Lyme's test. If it is Lyme's, it is treated with antibiotics.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is n not well understood, but some believe that it to is tied to Epstein Barr Virus. Its symptoms are much like what you describe. There is no current treatment for it but it can be managed with diet and lifestyle modifications.

Here is information on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

A page on Epstein Barr and Mono, and how it can relate to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

Here is the webpage from the Chronic Epstein Barr Support Group:

Here is information on Lyme's disease:

I hope I was able to help, and that you feel better soon.