Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.

I beleive i have done a very foolish thing....have been on

I beleive i have done a very foolish thing....have been on a diet for 2.5 mths which recommends the intake of 48-84 oz of water per day. No problem. However, for the last week i have been consuming far more. Since last Tuesday i beleive that my daily intake is aprox 4 litres. Needless to say, i haven't been feeling "myself" for the last 3 days. Symptoms inlude extreme drowsiness, unbelievable thirst even after drinking 2 lare glasses in succession, and for the last 2 days lightheadedness. Much worse today....room was spinning when i woke up in bed this morning. Felt like i was drunk! Had trouble walking and felt very nauseous. Looked online and i'm thinkng accidental water intoxication (idiot right??) Drank only minimal tea and coffee, no water. Took a diuretic (water retention pills). I hate to bother the doctors if this is something which will go away by tommorrow. What should i do? Help!!  please contact me at idavdl@telus.net
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 2 years ago.

MD doc :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

MD doc :

Ideally you should be seen by a physician given that you are already extremely drowsy

Customer:

ok

MD doc :

Since you may slip in to unconsciousness without being aware

MD doc :

and that can be fatal

Customer:

i was very drowsy this am and early aft. It is now 11 PM and althugh not feeling 100% - alot better than earlier

MD doc :

Ok

Customer:

do you think it was water intoxication?

MD doc :

Yes it is certainly possible,

MD doc :

that electrolyte imbalance due to water intoxication may have contributed to your symptoms

MD doc :

If you are feeling better, then I would advise you to monitor yourself carefully,

Customer:

would this cause thirstiness as well?

MD doc :

ask a relative / friend to keep in contact with you

MD doc :

and get to the ER/ doctor as needed

MD doc :

Yes

Customer:

is it safe to go to bed?

MD doc :

you can get excessive thirst due to electrolyte imbalance

MD doc :

It ought to be safe to go to bed, if you are feeling better

Customer:

nmy husband is out of town - am alone in the hoiuse

MD doc :

Of course, avoiding fad diets is the key to preventing these complications :)

MD doc :

I understand

Customer:

17 day diet

Customer:

good diet - i just drank too much water!

Customer:

is there anything i should do or take?

MD doc :

:)

MD doc :

Not really,

MD doc :

you have already taken a diuretic

MD doc :

do not overdo the water,

MD doc :

take a light diet

MD doc :

and get to a doctor as soon as feasible, possibly tomorrow morning if the symptoms persist

Customer:

ok - thank yu

MD doc :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Customer:

ok - goodnight...

Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.