Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Ive been struggling with tennis elbow on my right arm for

Customer Question

I've been struggling with tennis elbow on my right arm for a couple of months & now have been diagnosed with the start of "trigger thumb" on my left hand,any suggestions? I wondered if ruta grav would help?
regards,XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Health
Expert:  Charogat replied 1 year ago.

Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Charogat :

Can you please tell me what you have tried so far?

Customer :

Hello!

Customer :

have tried ibupfofen intially as suggested by my GP,also a natural remedy called dog oil with some success.Though ruta grav may help but couldn't find over the counter

Charogat :

I am sorry for the long delay

Charogat :

A few things that you have not mentioned is wearing support for your elbow -- they make supports that you can buy in the pharmacy.

Charogat :

Also, a higher dose of ibuprofen might be appropriate,

Charogat :

Another thing is to use topical anti-inflamatories, (you can even try capsasin cream or ointment if they make it in the UK)

Charogat :

And application of moist heat.

Charogat :

The biggest problem is that as long as you use it, the chance of recovery is lower.

Charogat :

And the longer you have it, the lower the chance of a full recovery.

Customer :

yeah sorry,got one of those which helps at work. would ruta grav help both conditions?

Charogat :

ruta grav appears to be a homeopathic remedy. I am not trained in homeopathy.

Charogat :

I will say that I don't mind trying things that are homeopathic as I feel that they might help but are quite unlikely to hurt.

Charogat :

Are you still there?

Customer :

yes,was asking specifically for homeopathic treatment though hence referring to ruta grav.Any thoughts?

Charogat :

Did you see my response to that above?

Charogat :

I think it is worth trying, I don't see how it can hurt. That being said I have not studied homeopathy (as mentioned above).

Customer :

anyone who can help with homeopathy?

Charogat :

I will opt out of the question and see if anyone else picks it up.

Charogat :

G-d Bless

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
Hello Amanda,

Ruta Grav 30 C may help, as it is known to help in joint and musculoskeletal issues. The dose is 2 globules three times a day. But there are no double blind randomized controlled trial of benefit of Ruta Grav in tennis elbow or trigger thumb, specifically. There are anecdotal evidence of it's benefit in musculoskeletal / joint disorders. So you may take it with the other measures too.

Following are the comprehensive measures for tennis elbow;

1) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen for around 10-14 days.

2) Elbow brace

3) Physical therapy

4) Warm compresses

5) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

These are the initial modalities and if the pain does not respond than the further interventions would be required;

1) iontophoresis, phonophoresis

2) electrical stimulation

3) shock wave therapy

4) local steroid shots

The specialist to handle both the conditions is physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist. Most of the above modalities are done at physiotherapy center.

Trigger thumb occurs due to degeneration of the tendon of the thumb and prevents its smooth movement in its covering (sheath). It develops more frequently in individuals with diabetes, thyroid disorders and in patients with osteoarthritis. This may also be associated with inflammatory arthritis, gout, or chronic infection.

Treatment entails;

1) oral nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs,

2) steroid injection, and

3) splint that prevents motion of the joints of the thumb.

If these are not effective; surgery may be needed.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun