Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Can Lisinopril (10mg) cause extreme lower leg pain, swelling

Can Lisinopril (10mg) cause extreme lower leg pain, swelling and weakness? I took Predsinome for Bell's Palsy and the pain went away overnight; I could walk; the swelling was greatly reduced. As the Prednisone dosage was reduced I quickly became crippled again. I must urinate many times during the night from edema (partially caused by a seat-belt injury and a resulting injury to a ureter during surgery). I am exhausted from little sleep and constant pain.

I think it would be much better to find the cause of my high blood pressure rather than just keep treating the "symptom", especially as my blood pressure doesn't seem to be lowered and I am barely able to walk due to the extreme pain and swelling. Is there some natural treatment available?

I have been "borderline" diabetic my whole life, have Hashimoto's Disease which causes many problems--particularly allergies and asthma. There are many medications that I cannot take; I would guess that I could be allergic to Lisinopril or maybe just in the 1% of users that have extreme leg pain, etc.

I was swarmed by wasps approximately 2 years ago on my left ankle and foot (20+ stings or bites), which was relieved by Prednisone. It swelled up again in about 30 days and was treated again with Prednisone; it's possible that I have lymphedema.

It's also possible that I have early aortic stenosis. My mother and her brother had the aortic valve replaced in their 80's; I'm a 72 year-old female.

Finally, I had 3 compression fractures and other injuries 23 years ago that caused much reduced circulation and resulting iron deposits in my lower legs as well as being unable to walk without the use of two canes for 6 years. I took Glucosamine DS for 5 days and
threw down both canes and walked okay for over 15 years.

I've been taking Lisinopril about 2 years but the extreme pain and crippling started 5-6 months ago. There was no injury or change in my medication or daily routine or even new shoes that could account for the onset of this rapidly developing condition. My legs are very weak and unstable. I've been lucky that I've been able to "break" falls and have not been seriously injured. I have to pull myself up stairs and have to often ride the mobile shopping carts in stores. I'm very unstable using canes. Help! R.B.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 4 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

No I do not think that your lower leg swelling or weakness is caused by the lisonopril.

Anthony Bray MD :

It may be related to your high blood pressure however.

Anthony Bray MD :

It could be due to weakness or insufficincy of your kidneys as one possibility.

Anthony Bray MD :

It may mean that you need a diuretic in addition to the lisonopril or that you need to have your meds adjusted.

Anthony Bray MD :

The lower leg swelling may be caused by kidney problems, heart problems or venous insufficiency (leaky valves of the deep veins of the legs) as the three most common reasons for this problem.

Anthony Bray MD :

I would recommend that you work closely with your doctor to determine the cause of the swelling in your case. The necessary treatment will vary according to the cause.

Anthony Bray MD :

If you have venous insufficiency as the cause then you would likley see the swelling get better overnight and worse during the day. It would tend to get worse the more that you stood. This type of swelling would benefit from raising your legs to the couch or ottoman and using compression stockings to the knees.

Anthony Bray MD :

If due to the heart or kidneys then you would probably need a diuretic to help clear the swelling as at least part of your treatment plan.

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps.

Anthony Bray MD :

If you have further questions then let me know and I will be happy to get back with you.

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony bray MD