Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

my ankle suddenly became painful swollen and it is moving up

my ankle suddenly became painful swollen and it is moving up my leg with no injury what is it
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Is the swelling limited to the ankle or does it include the calf of the leg?

Anthony Bray MD :

If it should include the calf of the leg then i would worry about a possible clot in the leg or DVT (deep vein thrombosis). This would need to be evaluated tonight if you believe that this is a piossibility.

Anthony Bray MD :

If it is limited to the ankle >>which side is swollen?

Anthony Bray MD :

It is possible that you could have sprained the ankle and niot realized it at the time.

Anthony Bray MD :

The swelling and pain can worsen over several hours. (sort of like a case of whiplash >>it can hurt much worse the next day)

Customer:

it is moving up the leg and it is hurting more and more and now I can hardly walk, it started very small ankle pain I am freaked out

Anthony Bray MD :

Since it is progressing up the leg and it hurts to bear weight I would advise you to play it safe and go to the ER and have this checked out further.

Anthony Bray MD :

I would worry about a potential DVT as a possible cause.

Anthony Bray MD :

This is just one possible cause but if this is the cause it is quite serious and needs to be started on treatment right away.

Customer:

what is dvt I cannot drive myself and have no one to take me, ok to do in am

Anthony Bray MD :

No you can call 911 for an ambulance. A DVT is a deep vein thrombosis which is a clot of one of the deep veins of the leg. IF this is the cause then it can lead to a clot traveling to your lung and this can be fatal!

Anthony Bray MD :

A possible DVT is an acceptable reason to call for an ambulance to help you get to the hospital.

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
This is Dr Bray: Just a quick follow up. I hope that everything turned out OK. Did you have a DVT or some other cause of your pain and swelling? I hope that you are doing well. Best Wishes