Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have tiny water blisters below my nose and on my scar (cleft

Customer Question

I have tiny water blisters below my nose and on my scar (cleft lip) after blowing my nose during a very bad cold. I have never had fever blisters before, and it is possible these are them however they are not red, but simply clear tiny blisters. As well I went tanning yesterday and then they developed, making it harder for me to tell if its fever blisters or sun blisters caused from the uv rays on my senstive tissue rubbed nose. I am going on vacation in a week and am stressing out.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Customer:

hello

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that the area that you describe the appearance of these blisters is more likley to be a presentation of impetigo which is most commonly caused by strep or staph infections.

Anthony Bray MD :

I would watch for redness, soreness, spreading.

Customer:

how can i tell the difference from impetigo from hsv?

Anthony Bray MD :

I would recommend a doctor examine the area and if it is impetigo I would usually opt to treat with a combination of an oral plus topical antibiotic for increased effectivenes.

Anthony Bray MD :

HSV are usually very sore disproporionate to their size for one.

Anthony Bray MD :

They may occur on the inside of the lip or the outside.

Customer:

what is the healing like? are they going to burst?

Anthony Bray MD :

They typically start with a blister but develop ulvers.

Anthony Bray MD :

ulcers.

Customer:

ahh

Customer:

so the same as a fever blister?

Customer:

I leave for Hawaii next Friday..

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes pretty much, people use the term fever blisters for both HSV ulvers and for apthous ulcers.

Anthony Bray MD :

With treatment either of these usually clears and heals fairly quickly.

Anthony Bray MD :

This is thanks to the lips haveing a very good blood supply and immune response.

Customer:

right now the topical ointment i am using "fucidin" will this be enough to clear it?

Anthony Bray MD :

I'm not familiar with that specific product.

Customer:

lol my immune system unfortunately is pretty awful

Anthony Bray MD :

I typically use Bactroban ointment by prescription.

Customer:

okay

Anthony Bray MD :

Triple antibiotic ointment should help or bacitracin

Customer:

besides ointment is there any other home remedies that can speed the process? Im guessing I still have to wait for the blisters to break open to start the healing process.. is it better to not touch them and let them break on their own?

Anthony Bray MD :

Like I said If I saw it and felt it was impetigo I would use a combination with an oral antibiotic as well for added effectiveness such as Keflex, or Biaxin.

Customer:

do i need a perscription for these?

Anthony Bray MD :

If they are small I would leave then alone as much as possible and use the antibiotic ointment.

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes the oral antibiotics you would need an Rx for.

Anthony Bray MD :

I think a day will tell you pretty plainly if you need to see the docotr or not....

Anthony Bray MD :

It will either be getting worse or resolving to an extent most likley within a single day to help point you in the right direction...

Customer:

okay. one more question

Anthony Bray MD :

OK

Customer:

im assuming impetigo is just as contagious? should i be worried that more blisters will spread around my other nostril?

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes it is contagious. It is a contact contagion.

Anthony Bray MD :

The bacteria gets on your hands and surfaces easily and is spread in this way.

Customer:

alright, so refrain from poking at the blisters

Anthony Bray MD :

It is possible that it might spread to more of the upper lip area or the other nostril.

Customer:

sounds like fun

Customer:

well thank you so much for your help

Anthony Bray MD :

Exactly, that is the best strategy to prevent spread. You aren't going to help anything by poking at it!!

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!

Customer:

its just so hard when i know it still needs to break.. so hard not to speed up the process but i know it will make it worse

Customer:

just a crappy virus

Customer:

thanks again

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice