Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

how many clomethiazole 192mg would cause an overdose? Also,

Customer Question

how many clomethiazole 192mg would cause an overdose? Also, would zolpidem, lorazapam or valium interact with this medication. I don't want to take an overdose but for all the literature i've read about clomethiazole i still have no idea how much is too much.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.

Any dose above the prescribed amount for the particular condition an individual is being treated for is considered an overdose. So any dose above what is listed on the prescription is an overdose.

The effects of taking too much of this drug will vary depending on factors such as the status of a particular individual's kidneys and liver (renal and hepatic function) and whether or not they have any tolerance towards the medication (tolerance can develop when the medication is taken over time). Additionally taking clomethiazole along with other medications that potentiate it's effects (such as the sedatives you mention above and/or alcohol) will decrease the amount needed to produce an overdose.

To be clear, yes, zolpidem, lorazepam, and valium all interact with clomethiazole, potentiating the sedating effects, thus decreasing the amount needed to overdose.

There are many additional medications that inhibit metabolism of clomethizole, meaning that the effects of the drug will be increased, resulting in overdose, for example, cimetidine, calcium channel blockers, diuretics, antibacterials (among others). This is why it is important to tell any doctor prescribing medication to you any other medications that you are taking.

An overdose is considered any dose higher than what is prescribed to the individual for the condition they are taking the medication for. This medication is prescribed for insomnia, withdrawal syndrome, status epilepticus, and pre-eclamptic toxemia.

An overdose of this medication can cause respiratory depression, meaning an individual taking an overdose may fall asleep and breath shallowly. The lack of adequate deep breathing can result in anoxia (lack of oxygen) to the brain, and permanent brain damage may result, even as the patient recovers physically as the medication is metabolized by the body.

Please reply if you have further questions about this topic.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ive just read he internet that acoholics can take 10-12 tablets a day. Insomnia is only 2 and you say anymore than that would be an overdose. I dont understand why some people can take very high doses and that not being treated for an overdose. I take 2 at night to sleep but what you are telling me is if i take 3 then I've overdosed. Ahhhh maybe i should have worded things differently.........how much would have to be taken to need medical attention becauae of seious overdose. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it says i have been given 2 replies but ive only received one
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.
No one can tell you exactly how many you would have to take to need medical attention because there is no scientific way to measure your tolerance to the medication. Do not take more than what is prescribed for you in order to prevent an overdose....this is what is important for you to know. If you are finding that the medication is no longer helping you and you want to increase your dose, you must not do this. Instead consult with your doctor that is prescribing you the medication. They may recommend a different medication or provide you with other techniques to help you with any problem you may be having.

We are here to help you, but we need to have clear information on the problem you are looking to find a solution for.

At JustAnswer Health (soon to be named Pearl Health) we strive to provide you with accurate educational information about your specified health concerns, or give you direction on where to best obtain any help you may need.

Please be clear about what you need from us and we will do our best to assist you.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your last answers, which is why i'm returning to you to ask something. I sent my social worker an email about 6 weeks ago and there is going to be group meeting regarding my future care o 4 May My personal opinion is that now i have laid my cards on the table and admitted what a bad state i'm actually in, i can't belive it's taken another 2 months to do anyththing about it. I am going to copy and paste the email i sent to her (and i NEVER open up this much cause i'm one of those people who like to say 'yeah, I'm fine thanks" I just feel like my honesty with them should have been acted upon before now. I swear this is not a cry for attention....it's a cry for help. They just seem to be a hell of a lot surer than i am that i will still be alive for the meeting between now and 4 may, I'll try to copy and paste the email and pray it works cause i can't be bothered writing it all again. This is an email i sent to my social worker 6 weeks ago.

I sent this email to my social worker about 6 weeks and we are having a group review of my care plan on 4th may - no support worker or anything in place to help me. When you have read this email please tell me what you think. I refuse to go into my local psych ward cause it's an acute ward and i'm convinced the staff think i'm attention seeking and there's nothing wrong with me. My anxiety levels are to the point i lose control of my bowels!!! Anyway, thank you for taking time to read this and give me your opinion of what should be the response........I just cant believe they are leaving me this long, living alone, self medicating to get through the day and are so sure i'll still be alive by the time the meeting comes around!! I'm not feeling suicidal right now and the fact that i'm trying to get help means I'm trying to stay alive. I just feel like they are trying to kill me!! Thank you so much for being a sounding board for me.
>

Hope this email reaches you okay. I find it easier to write than talk to you so maybe this will make things clearer. I appreciate you calling today although i've been waiting for that call since you text me on 29 Feb saying you would call me the next day Obviously I am genuinely sorry you were on bereavement leave and hope that you are ok, but feeling as desperate as i've been feeling i literally have been waiting on your call day by day, hour by hour. I didn't want to phone you because i feel like i'm being a nuisance and if i'm totally honest i feel like neither you or dr waller think i'm actually struggling and am in fact very capable of looking after myself. I am - when i am well - but other than 2 weeks before xmas i can pretty much say i exist, don't live. I am more than aware that when i am well i am VERY well and probably more capable than some people are who don't experience mental health problems at all. However, this also seems to be the reason i am not getting the help i need when i need it,
>
I've been researching stuff myself because i'm getting to the point where i've had enough and am regularly on the brink of doing myself serious harm that could result in death. Telling you this is not a threat, a cry for attention....it's a reality check. a few days ago i consumed the whole box (20tablets) of a "one a night" sedating antihistamine.....prayed they would poison me....i woke up the next day. I have done this on many occassions this year, mixing them with other medications to try to increase the potency, haven't told anyone til i'm telling you now. I feel like nobody believes or takes me seriously that i feel so destructive and that every time you remind me of how capable i am, the message i am getting is that i'm making a mountain out of a molehill, i'm not that bad and i don't really need much help. Again, this has resulted in me trying to seek help myself. I never want to be on ward 17 again but i have lived like this for 20years now and i don't know how much more i can take. I appreciate you telling me about the penumbra respite but as i said, i don't need "respite" of 1 or 2 weeks a year - i need serious help. If I could afford to i would find somewhere that would take me for 6mo nths where i would have intensive therapy, proper meals and excercise etc i would go there tomorrow. I can't remember the last time i washed, cleaned the house, paid bills on time etc. I am not able to function and am tired now. I'm tired of being reminded of how capable i am, i'm tired of constantly letting people down because my anxiety is so out of control, i'm tired of feeling constant guilt, i'm tired of being alive!! Again, not a threat....a fact. The hardest part for me is that i know the solution to this - i know what would help me function and pretend everything's okay and that i'm okay - to selfharm. It's the way i've managed to get this far and to hold down a job, keep committments etc. Part of me knows it is a positive thing that i am managing not to do it, it's just ironic that i may actually end up dead in the pr

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Female
Person's Age: 34

Already Tried:
I've tried various diferent meds over the years including lithium etc. I am currently on 600mg pregabilin (lyrica) 60 mg Prozac 10mg Valium 30mg Zolpidem....and that's before i add in what i buy online via a british chemist but i only take these prn,, not every day - 2.5mg lorazapam, 2mg Klonopin,2xclomethizole 192mg at night if the zolpidem doesnt work because my body seems to become tolerant to meds very quickly. Please don't tell me i may have borderline personality - i don't&dr agrees.Than

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please reply as the meeting is in a couple of weeks and i want to be prepared as possible. I have no support worker,no cpn, just my psychiatrist and social worker who visits whenever she feels like it (not very often) and i feel I'm just left alone cause to help me would take too much effort!! I've already decided that if i don't get the support i need sorted out asap I am going to move to another region to be under different drstrict. Could be better, could be worse, i just don't see any other way forward if they continue to offer me no support. Yout opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. Angela