Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

hello -- im trying to evaluate whether my 6-yr old should

hello -- i'm trying to evaluate whether my 6-yr old should have a tonsilectomy. she has large tonsils and moderate adenoids. she has always had a clogged nose -- usually crusted and difficult to clear, even with saline. she is usually a mouth breather when sleeping and frequently snores. she has accidents most nights. she is energetic in the morning but could definitely use a nap in the afternoon -- because she is tired and cranky. her hearing [or processing] seems to be off -- i often need to repeat myself several times. yet her hearing tests have always been fine. how do you evaluate whether or not to proceed with a tonsilectomy. she also had a sleep study [it was a good night] -- which did not reveal any alarming sleep apnea. is it possible her symptoms cannot be cleared up with a tonsilectomy? we've visited 3 specialists with ranging recommendations [asap vs. wait and see] thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Was it an ENT specialist that recommended the surgery?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes -- all three specialists were ents

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
And any other treatments that have been tried?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no -- other than saline nose spray . . .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
No antihistamines or decongestants or prescription nasal sprays?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no -- none of those
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Well, first off, I think those need to be tried in an attempt to avoid the need for surgery. If they were not effective, then, yes, I would agree that the surgery was warranted and that it should resolve her problems. If she could get by just on medications, she might, in a since, outgrow this problem in a few years.