Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Can a sinus infection cause a severe sore throat? i can hardly

Can a sinus infection cause a severe sore throat? i can hardly swallow it is so painful and post nasal drip makes me feel iike i can breathe.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Good morning..

I am sorry you are not feeling well.
Do you have any pus spots on your tonsils?
Fever?
Swollen glands in the front of your neck?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No fever or pus....my glands a swollen.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you.
Without fever or pus spots, that basically rules out strep throat, the main cause of a bacterial throat infection.

When someone has an upper respiratory infection/sinus infection, a sore throat is not an uncommon symptom. This can be due to postnasal drainage but it can also be due to the same virus causing your sinus infection also causing a throat infection.

Warm salt water gargles, throat lozenges and sprays, an herbal tea called Throat Coat and ibuprofen or acetaminophen can aid with soothing the throat.

If the sore throat persists and you are unable to eat or drink due to the pain, you should have your doctor do a throat culture just to confirm that it is not bacterial.

I hope that you feel better soon!
Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please help I have constand post nasal drip that is thin. It feels like water is constantly dripping down my throat. I choke when I am eating or talking and I can't even work. I am constantly clearing my throat. I am allergic to nasal steriod sprays. What can I do to dry it up or stop it?? It's making me miserable
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry you are so miserable...

One thing you may wish to try is Nasalease which is a homeopathic remedy. It does not have any studies to back it up showing it is that useful, however.
Antihistamines can help those who have drainage due to allergies.
You may need to see an ENT if the drainage continues and you cannot find anything that is helpful for you...a course of oral steroids helps some people with severe sinusitis...

I hope that you feel better..I am sorry to see you are still struggling.

Dr abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Iwill try that. Can a sinus infection cause bronchitis? I have a horrible cough sorta wet. Ijust finished five days of antibiotics. Lots of post nasal drip.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
The underlying cause of the sinus infection can often cause bronchitis.
If you have a wet, painful cough, you may have bronchitis...this is usually a virus that rarely requires antibiotics unless you have recently or are currently taking oral steroids, have other illnesses (emphysema, immunosuppresion) or if you are elderly (I don't have your age...)

If you haven't followed up with your doctor since we began conversing, it may not be a bad idea...this has been going on for a while and seems to be progressing.

I hope that things start to turn the corner and get better!!

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i finally followed up with my doctor who still thinks itbis a sinus infection and now bronchitis. I have a low grade fever. She put me on another dose of antibiotics :-\ and prednisone. I am usually healthy and able to fight off bugs within a week. I have asthma an allergies could this be the
Reason it is taking forever to go away? Starting to worry....
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Yes, asthma can certainly affect how long this takes to go away..
It is not unusual for it to be persistent...but I always recommend follow up for further treatment when it is lasting for a while.

The steroids should help...
I hope that you start to improve over the next few days,

Dr Abby