Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

Im 34, married and sexually active. My period has always

I'm 34, married and sexually active. My period has always been extremely regular, but in the last few years, has gone from what seemed to be a "normal" flow to what I would consider heavy. Enough so, that I need to take Iron pills to keep up energy during flow. Then, both husband and I noticed the period was late (we are not actively trying for a baby, but we're not NOT trying either - it would be welcomed.) .. we tried to ignore it, but then two weeks and a few days passed, and decided couldn't wait to buy a test - so I did, and started that night with some light spotting. By morning, flow was extremely heavy and red with slight cramping (cramping is normal for me) .. and it occurs to me that this could point to something else, like a miscarriage. I've no history of miscarriage, and have a healthy 12 year old daughter. Just wondering if I ought to be concerned.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Singh :

Dr. Singh :

When you did the urine pregnancy test what was the result?

Customer:

result was negative

Customer:

went ahead and took it first thing this morning even with the period starting.

Dr. Singh :

If the test result was negative then changes are you were not pregnant. Home pregnancy tests are 98% accurate. The fact that your menstrual periods have changed and are heavier than usual, and now that they are occurring irregularly I do recommend that you see your OB/Gyn doctor to have this further evaluated. You will require a pelvic exam, ultrasound, and possibly blood work to determine the exact cause and then the treatment.

Customer:

should I be concerned that this is a different color than usual and definitely heavier?

Dr. Singh :

The fact that it is heavier is concerning as causes for that can be endometriosis, fibroids, or hormonal imbalances.

Customer:

So, making an appointment sooner rather than later would be a good idea? Just trying to figure out the level of urgency I should be thinking.

Dr. Singh :

Yes I agree with making an appointment soon.

Customer:

Okay. Thanks.

Dr. Singh :

You are welcome.

Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.
Did you see your OB/GYN doctor? What was done and what were the findings?