Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

7 months ago i was playing with the kids and slid off the couch

7 months ago i was playing with the kids and slid off the couch onto the floor, landing on my tail bone. since then I have been in pain every single day. although, it is not as bad as the first couple months it is effecting my posture and my quality of life. i have always been told even if its broken clean off that there is very little that can be done about it but i am tired of being in pain constantly. is there any point in having it checked out to have a solution or am i just going to get a "take two asprin and call me in the morning" type visit? whats best case and worst senario? and finally, even it is was broken then, shouldnt it heal and quit hurting on its own?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Singh :

Dr. Singh :

Since it has been seven months and you are experiencing pain it may be worth getting it checked out to find out exactly what was injured. An x-ray or MRI of your spine is warranted. Depending on what is found your options for treatment will vary. It can anything from pain control medications, physical therapy, steroid injection, etc. And yes you are correct by now you should have started to feel some relief, so that is why I do recommend getting it examined to find the exact injury that is causing your pain.

Dr. Singh :

Do you have any further questions?

Customer:

well, I have a fairly high tolerance for pain and a low tolerance ongoing routine treatments, pills, or repeat doctors visits. i know it is impossible for you to know anything for sure sight unseen but would this have a decent probability of fixing this once and for all or most likely just doing pills to effectively but a bandaid on it? because if i have little hope of getting a permanent solution then I may just try and wait some more and hope for the best.

Dr. Singh :

If it is your coccyx (tailbone) then treatment is mostly supportive. If it is an injury at some level of your spine, physical therapy and injections may provide symptom control long term. Therefore having an imaging test to determine between the two is recommended.

Customer:

i guess then the last thing id ask on this would be just narrowing it down. I have never felt pain in my back, even lower back relating to this. all the pain is right on the end of my coccyx and mostly when i am sitting and there is pressure on my tailbone. also, when i stand up, for a brief few seconds there is greater pain when the pressure is released. with that description of the location, and the absence of pain in my spine, is it safe to conclude (within a reasonable margin based on little information) that my spine is ok and most likely the coccyx is the problem and thus, with mostly just supportive treatment options then going to a doctor would be less of a priority unless there was a danger of further injury in the absence of treatment.

Dr. Singh :

The description of your symptoms is consistent with a coccyx injury. Things I would recommend are avoiding sitting for prolonged periods or if you need to to try to lean forward while doing so. Buying a "donut shaped" cushion and sitting on that as that can relieve direct pressure and help with symptoms. The thing with coccyx injury is that symptoms are usually self-limited and resolve within a couple of months. The fact that you are still having symptoms 7 months later is a little concerning. While I understand your situation, I recommend that if your pain continues in the next few months, or worsens or if you develop other symptoms such as pain down the legs, numbness tingling, urinary problems, etc please be seen by your doctor.

Customer:

thank you and I will accept your answer. one final note, i do have a donut cushion and for the first 3 months i couldnt stand to be without it. now, the pain is constant but dull enough that the pain the cushion prevents vs the trouble to keep up with it often arent justified. the only thing you said though that caused me to reply again vs just accepting is that rare times, but a reoccuring symptom i didnt think of because i didnt think it was related is i do have varing degrees of numbness in my legs. most times its when i am sitting in a odd way (leaning heavily back, left or right) sometimes in this way i have no feeling at all in my calf until i move or stand up and blood recirculates to my legs. even more rare, sometimes (maybe 8 times in 7 months) my left leg has gone numb while standing. the more i move the less this happens and i have thought it was just poor circulation. if that is possibly related what might that mean? i do appologize for the barrage of additional information, but having read your last post, I thought it wise to inquire.

Dr. Singh :

That is ok. The numbness in your legs indicates some sort of impinched nerve, whether this nerve gets pinched with certain positions, inflammation, or because of spinal injury. Because of that symptom, at least getting imaging of the spine is good idea.

Customer:

duly noted. thanks for your time and assitance

Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.
How are your symptoms now? Are you still experiencing numbness? Did you obtain any imaging of your spine?