Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have like a vibrating type feeling on the left side of my

Customer Question

I have like a vibrating type feeling on the left side of my head, also the left side of my neck aches and from this the left side of my arm and armpit aches. I sometimes get tingling and numbess. i am having physio on my neck, as I have had labrythitis 10 months ago now and the doctor says I have got myself in such a tense state.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.
Greetings.

Since when are your symptoms?
What did your MRI of the neck and head show?
What are your present medications?
What are the specialists you have consulted?
What are your specific concerns?
Are you diabetic, smoker?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

mri scan I had on my head that was normal. Having physio on my neck left shoulder and left armpit.

my concerns are that it all on my left side of my body, vibrating in my head and aches and pain in my neck and tingling down my left arm and numbness.

I had labrinythitis may 2011 and 4 months later i started with really bad headaches and my neck and arm pain, headaches are alot better.

I am on no present medications.

dont smoker and not that I know that I am diabetic.

Your symptoms are suggestive of pinched nerves in the neck. This usually causes one sided symptoms and do not point to anything serious like stroke or neuropathy; especially with the MRI of head being normal. Tingling can be referred to the head from muscles, nerves, bones, joints and vascular structures in the neck. Pinched nerves in the neck are giving you neck pain, tingling down in left arm and numbness. This can be due to;

1) Herniated/degenerated disc in neck

2) Cervical spondylosis; bone spurs in the neck vertebrae pressing on the nerves.

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the neck spine

2) MRI of the neck

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in which pain / numbness / tingling is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.

7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.

8) Hot fomentation

9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray.

10) Acupuncture / Acupressure

You can consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) Specialist in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you think the vibrating on one side of my head is from my neck pain? I also forgot to mention I do get some dizziness and feel off balance, I dont know if this is from my labrinythitis still or could my neck be causing this?

Dizziness and off balance are likely to be caused by labyrinthitis. Vibration and headache are likely due to neck. This is what we term as cervicogenic headache. This headache and vibration is caused by referred pain from the upper neck (cervical) joints. The headache is caused by neck movement or sustained awkward head positioning. So people who work long hours on computers are liable to have this kind of headache. Migraine and tension-type headache can be the other possibility.

Physical therapy is the preferred initial treatment for cervicogenic headache.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun