Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

If I rub my hand down, over my xiphoid process with a little

If I rub my hand down, over my xiphoid process with a little pressure I get a sharp shooting pain that shoots through my shoulders up to my neck. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am a 29 year old male in pretty good shape
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
How long has this been a problem, and are you saying that if you run your hand from the top of your sternum to the xiphoid process, only when you get to the xiphoid is there a problem? That's the only time you ever get this sensation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This just started today, yes, if I rub down from chest down and over xiphoid process is when I get the pain
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
May should like a silly question, but why did you perform this motion in the first place?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was just after eating, kind of stretching and rubbing my belly
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
So is this actually pressure on the xiphoid or is it actually pressure on the upper abdomen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just as my hand ldaves the bottom point of the xipboid and into the area immediately beneath that point
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
How about if you press in on the upper right quadrant of your abdomen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing by pressing there...I have just been told I have an impacted gall stone, and a fatty liver, my concern is that this pain is heart related. is this possible?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
I really don't think so, especially since it only occurs with the pressure being applied and the radiation of the sensation isn't typically cardiac. I suspect you may be putting pressure on your gall bladder and that's radiating to the shoulders and neck--that isn't all that uncommon for gall bladder problems. If it were the xiphoid itself, that wouldn't radiate into the shoulders and neck.