DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

Hi there. Could anyone explain why it is that post-menopausal

Hi there. Could anyone explain why it is that post-menopausal women find it much harder to lose weight particularly around the stomach and hip region? I'm sure there is no simple explanation but any information would be most helpful.
Thanking you,
Sue
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
Part of it is aging
As we age converting fat is more difficult.
Part is estrogen dominance...even post menopausal there can be a relative estrogen excess.

Part of it is any inflammation in the body which also increases with aging and with estrogen imbalance.

A nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory diet is thus indicted at this stage.

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your prompt answer. Could you please outline in a little more detail what you mean by a 'nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory diet'?
Cheers,
Sue
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.

The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt

The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.