Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Im 52 years old and Ive developed a medical condition that

I'm 52 years old and I've developed a medical condition that I don't know of! Every day after I've been up for several hours I seem to have what appears to be blood pressure on both sides of the face(from the temple down to my checks)but come to find out from my doctor that it is not HBP but a sinus infection instead. I've been taking medication to treat this for over a month now but the problem still continues and seems to be getting worse. It's always the worst after I've worked a normal 10 hour shift or 11 and a half hour shift. One thing that's been consistent in the past is after I've eaten a fairly large meal especially a high protein meal the pressure on my face goes down considerably! Their were 3 occasions in the last 3 months where the pressure was so great I became very light headed, could not go to sleep for 4 or 5 hours and had to miss work that day. During this time I've been changing my eating habits(especially during the week days)and making sure that I eat a regular meal with high protein a few hours before coming home from work. That seemed to keep it under control until the beginning of last week(the week of 3/26/12)where it wasn't working anymore. I work in a factory and the job is fast paced and physically demanding but I've been doing it for the last 2 and a half years now and it's not that difficult. I have considered though that this type of work could be really aggravating my condition and I'm in the process of trying to bid on another position but that takes time and I desperately need help right now! My doctor sent me to have a head scan which only showed that I had some sinus pressure and this coming Monday, 4/2/12, I'll be bringing the lab a 24 hour urine sample. I don't know when that test results will come out or whether it will show anything or not. Just recently it was suggested by my doctor that I could be undergoing Male Menopause. From what I've been learning of this I tend to have doubts about it because I have 2 symptoms(a feeling of blood pressure and causing light headedness)and again it's the most severest when after coming home from a long days work. From what I,ve been reading, people undergoing this may have multiple symptoms which do not seem to be that severe. OK finally my question: In your expert opinion, is their any relief(or temporary)that you can let me know of until my doctor can figure out what this is? It would be truly wonderful if you could tell what this might be or the next best thing; give me a suggestion of an over the counter drug, eating a certain type of a food or drink or anything else that you think might help me. Even if it's something that you think might help me in an indirect way. For example: some multipurpose over the counter drug or better yet a multi purpose prescription that I could tell my doctor about. I use the word multipurpose in hopes that you can identify with my problem and maybe not being completely sure of what it is but have a good idea of what it could be and let me know how to treat it or at least give me temporary relief. Whewwwww! This is the longest question I've ever asked on line but it's a very serious matter and it could be that their is a quick simple solution for this but what ever the case may be, I would greatly appreciate any advice that you could give me. Thank You!
I hope you will ask me some questions about this and at the same time be patient with me for my not so fast typing. Also, I've been taking Lipitor(10mg)for over 2 years now and I'm hoping that this isn't a side effect.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

Hello, I would like to help you with your question about sinus pressure. There may indeed be a simple explanation for this symptom, and then again it's possible that the cause is something more complicated. May I ask for more information? Besides the feeling of pressure, do you ever get any other symptoms of a sinus infection such as a stuffed up nose or green and yellow colored nasal discharge? Have you had any dental work in your upper teeth, such as a root canal or extraction? Dr. David

JACUSTOMER-umx7v787- :

Actually, I haven't had any kind of sinus problem at all and no uper dental work.

JACUSTOMER-umx7v787- :

I've never to my knowlege have had any discoloring in my nasal discharge and any upper dental work would have been just filling a cavity.

JACUSTOMER-umx7v787- :

I'm not really sure how this works. I see that you're offline and I don't know what to do next. I guess I'm waiting for you're best expert guess at what this could be.

Dr. David :

I see. Thank you for the additional information. If you are not having sinus troubles and you have not had any dental work done on your upper teeth, then I am sorry to say that I do not have a simple explanation for your symptoms. Perhaps there is another Expert who has a better answer for you. I will Opt Out so that your question can be re-listed and other Experts can take a look. Please be patient as it may take an hour or more before someone answers your question. I wish you the best.

Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Expert has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello and yes I'm still waiting for some experts best answer to my question. Thank You!

Thank you. Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's about 10:00pm. I'll check Monday morning or afternoon to review a response from an expert to my very lengthy question.Smile
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 years ago.
Greetings.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

What are the treatment / medications, you have tried?
Any significant past medical history?
Are you a smoker?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't smoke and I've never had anything close to any kind of medical condition in the past. I do take lipitor(10mg)and a perscription nasal spray(Nasonex). Even though my doctor still wants me to take the Nasonex daily, it doesn't appear that the problem that I'm having right now is a sinus problem. The only other thing suggested by my doctor was that I could possibly be going through Male Menopause. I understand that treating this is a fairly simple matter but in the meantime I'm wondering if you could suggest to me anything that I can possibly do to give myself at least some kind of temporary relief until I find an answer to this. Thank You!

Your symptoms can be due to;

1) Atypical migraine; facial pain is common in it. Please see the resource;
http://www.livestrong.com/article/16236-atypical-migraine-symptoms/

2) Tension headache which appears after an heavy day of work due to tiredness and spasm of the muscles and may involve mainly the face muscles. A tension headache is a headache caused by tense muscles in the face, neck, or scalp. Sinusitis can be concomitant or aggravating condition.
3) Side effect of Lipitor which can appear any time during the treatment. Muscle pain are common side effects of it.

Over the counter medication like Ibuprofen can help. Following measures also can help;

There are dietary triggers known which should be avoided. Common triggers are

a) chocolate,

b) aged cheeses and meats,

c) wine and beer

d) citrus fruits.

See here an article about migraine variants;

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1142731-overview

For treating sinusitis naturally, which is a concomitant condition; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (salt water) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. Following can increase the body immunity so help;

1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.

2) Ginkgo Biloba

3) Zinc 30 mg.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Arun for talking the effort to looking into my problem. I am certainly going to put your very good suggestions to a try! Thanks again!
You are very welcome.

Good luck.