Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

fifth disease and pregnancy especially second and third trimester-please

fifth disease and pregnancy especially second and third trimester-please detail cautions-complications therapeutic direction.please tell me about effect of influenza b virus in pregnancy at third and second trimester-but also first trimester-therapeutic direction
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for requesting me:

DId the individual contract the infection OR did they get exposed to one or both of these infections?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the patient with Influnza b exposure has,I believe,symptoms of the disease and the patient with fifth disease is just exposed for now.both are in the 32 weeks pregnancy
About 1/2 of the adult population is immune to Fifth disease, so in those who already have immunity, there is no problem.

There is a small chance of miscarriage particularly in women in the first half of pregnancy, but later in pregnancy this is typically not a problem. Here is information from the CDC on the issue of Fifth disease (Parvovirus B19) infection/exposure during pregnancy.

As for influenza - pregnant women are at higher risk of the complications of influenza such as pneumonia because of the relative compression of the lungs by later stages of pregnancy.

Any pregnant women exposed to either of these infections should of course discuss this with their personal physician.