Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I was prescribed Armour thyroid medication while trying to

I was prescribed Armour thyroid medication while trying to get pregnant. My TSH levels were boderline, so my RE thought it would be helpful to get me in a normal range. Now that I have given birth and don't plan on getting pregnant again should I continue this medictation? My RE said I should continue and be followed by a regular endocrinologist. Is it really necessary?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hello

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

The need for thyroid hormone increases.

mysticdoc :

hence armour thyroid was appropriate during pregnancy for fetal development.

mysticdoc :

You do not need armour thyroid after delivery.

mysticdoc :

Your TSH level should be checked after 3 months of discontinuing armour thyroid.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Customer:

Thanks.. I was actually taking it prior to pregnancy and then during of course. I did go after birth and had stopped taking it on my own and was told it was again boderline and that is when my RE said I should just continue and follow up with a endocrinologist. I just wasn't convinced it was necessary but don't want to do something that would be harmful to myself.

mysticdoc :

as long as your TSH is around 2.5, you should be fine.

mysticdoc :

This will not be harmfu.

mysticdoc :

But your TSH level should be checked within 3 months.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT button and leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK, if you do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please ask for Mysticdoc for your future questions. Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:

thanks