Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

Hello Since I have been having frequent bouts with constipation,

Since I have been having frequent bouts with constipation, I have been getting a colonic once a month for the last several months. My most recent was 8 days ago. Knowing I have had constipation, the person who administers the colonic suggested I use a product called Oxy Powder, which is supposed to be quite good at removing impacted feces, toxins, etc.... I have been using it for the last 5 days, and it appears to working, especially with one nice sized bowel movement in the morning shortly after rising. It's not formed,but fairly large and moist. (Which according to the label is quite normal.)

My question-for the rest of the day, I have small, fairly thin movements. I have had these movements before, but they have only lasted a day or two, and then I go back to my normal, relatively large sized movements. It's been 4 days of this pattern. Of course, I have been on the Oxy Powder for 5 days. So the question-is it normal to have small thin movements based on the foregoing?

Two things-1) my last colonoscopy was two months ago-even though I followed the prep instructions to the letter, 4 of 7 areas the scope went into was not clear due to "poor prep". The other three areas were normal.
2) I had a very large movement about 9 days, ago, and then the colonic. I bring this up since I find it odd that if it is cancer or some sort of blockage, how could I have a huge movement and less than a week later be so constricted?
Finally, I know I should drink more water, something I have to make a point of doing.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Are you using any fiber? -

Wow - I see you are from Hewlett - went to Hewlett H.S. - graduated 31 years ago.....just had to add that in
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Actually, I graduated from Lawrence in '69, moved to Hewlett Harbor in '92

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Small world - don't live in NY anymore -
Anyway - getting back to your question - do you use any fiber?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh, your question. Yes, quite a bit. I juice, etc... In fact so much sometimes I get bloated.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Oh no, what I'm talking about are you using fiber pills or powders?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just the Oxy Powder
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Usually with constipation AND even diarrhea problems I recommend use of 20grams of fiber per day - that can be Konsyl, Benafiber, Metamucil, or Citrucel - as this will truly help you keep a bowel movement that is consistent - not too hard, and not too watery - but very consistent -
This will also help when you do a Prep again for a colonoscopy - and Usually I recommend a product called Movi-Prep - it works great and then adding a tablet of Dolculsate too to help.
I Hope this helps, if you have follow up questions, please ask, thank you (miss that bakery in hewlett, and the Deli too - forgot what it is called - has been there forever on Peninsula Blvd).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You mean Walls and Woodrow. Just had a turkey sandwhich and chicken soup (jewish penicilin) at Woodrow a few days ago.

Will the metamucil return my movements to somewhat normal (just not as constipated)?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Oh YES, Woodrow deli - Oh the Cornbeef sandwich....I miss that - they do not have that in the South....

Yes, about 2 to 4 tablespoons of Metamucil helps.
And, if a bit too constipated, adding MoM (Milk of Magnesia) helps too along with Dolculsate or Surfak.
thank you.