Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

Hi, I thought I had the flu a week ago, felt very sick to my

Hi, I thought I had the flu a week ago, felt very sick to my stomach, loss of appetite and bad back ache. I also had a cough for the pastXXXXXdid a chest xray for pneumonia and it came back fine. The cough is pretty much gone but the low grade fever and back ache are still there - 2 weeks later. The back pain is in my spine mid to lower back and is worse when I lay or sit down. Its drivng me crazy feeling like this, what could it be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Were you definitely diagnosed with the flu?
Did you have the flu shot this season?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I wasn't diagnosed with it and no I didn't have the flu shot. I told the Dr how I was feeling, I forgot to mention that she did a urine test to check my kidneys and that was fine. I have also had headaches since I first got sick. I still have the headaches.

Sorry forgot to mention I had some blisters or cankers in my mouth when i was feeling really sick, they are gone now.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Have you ever had a herpes infection?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Do you have lesions anywhere else on your body?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I have in the past I was diagnosed with it 3 years ago. But if I have an outbreak I don't get headaches and back aches
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
This could be a herpes type of infection outbreak such as the herpes you have come to know - but this could also be another type of herpes known as Shingles which is one of the herpes viruses (Varicella) - and hence you should get this all evaluated - and hence you might need a medication such as Valtrex or Acyclovir to help.
Plus to help with the pain - using a medication such as Tylenol IN addition to Neurontin or Lyrica might be needed.
I Hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT and if you have more questions, please ask
Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was wondering if it was shingles but I don't have any other blisters. I had shingles 20 years ago and had blisters. Don't i have to have blisters?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
You do not necessarily have to have the blisters - it can lie very deep and you appear to describing a herpes type of infection.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT and if you have follow up questions, please ask
Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, so can my Dr do a test to confirm for sure that it could be shingles? If I take Valtrex and pain meds will it just get better over time and no point in going in to the Dr?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Yes, a test can be performed..
Yes, if you take the Valtrex / Lyrica it should improve if due to HSV (herpes - either of these causes)
You will need a prescription for these medications from your doctor, but you do not necessarily need these medicatons as these do resolve on its own.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT for answering your questions, thank you