Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

My husband had shoulder surgery 10 days ago and has been pretty

My husband had shoulder surgery 10 days ago and has been pretty sedentary since then. I noticed several days ago that his ankles were swollen and encouraged him to put his feet put, but he hasn't. Today he has developed leakage from one leg, on which he had surgery about 6 months ago for a varicose veins. The skin on the leg is dimpled and there is leakage particularly from site of a previous cancerous lesion (which was removed). Should I take him to the emergency room or simply try to treat at home today and contact a doctor tomorrow?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.

DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question

DR HASAN :

What is the color of leakage?

DR HASAN :

how severe is the swelling?

Customer:

The leakage all seems to be clear. The swelling is pretty severe in that ankle. He has very slim ankles. I would say the right one, which is the one that is leaking, is about twice its normal size, though shrinking a bit as the leakage continues.

DR HASAN :

Is there any calf swelling?

Customer:

There does not appear to be any significant calf swelling. It begins just where the calf normally becomes quite slim. I should add that he is adamant about not going to emergency room. Though I can get him there is necessary.

Customer:

should be "if necessary."

DR HASAN :

Yes i am trying to figure that out

DR HASAN :

Is there any skin redness over that area and do you feel that the skin is slightly warm as compared to surrounding?

Customer:

I do not see any particularly redness and I did not notice any warmness to the skin. But I will go into the other room now and check.

DR HASAN :

ok i am waiting

Customer:

No redness and the skin feels cool rather than warm, but the leakage is copious.

DR HASAN :

If you ask my opinion then you should go to ER because its safe as he might need antibiotics

DR HASAN :

However its not life threatening and if you go tomorrow then you should apply OTC neosporin ointment over the area

DR HASAN :

and should ask him to keep legs elevated

DR HASAN :

Put compression bandage or crepe bandage over that leg

DR HASAN :

So to conclude if you go to ER thats best but you can wait if you want till tomorrow

DR HASAN :

and can follow what i have advised

Customer:

I will put compression bandage on. Leg seems to be getting smaller as the leakage increases. Thank you so much.

DR HASAN :

you are most welcome

DR HASAN :

please ask for any query

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.

Its just a message to inquire about your health and to ask that is there anything i can help you with?

Regards