Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hello doctors, I saw a urologist 1.5 months ago to see why

Hello doctors, I saw a urologist 1.5 months ago to see why I'm having bad perenium pain, including stinging shocking and burning feelings in my inner thigh, anus, and perineum. The doctor perscribed me a couple months of terazoson (hytrin) starting at 1mg and progressing to 10mg which I took for a month, at the 10mg week I started to get headaches so I stooped. However, the pain I had in my anus and inner thighs got about 80% better. I now have been off the terazosin for 2 weeks and the pain is slowly coming back. I saw the same doctor again ans he perscribed me Elavil 10mg.

I read about the medication and it seems to be an anti-depressent, I am a little scared to take the medication after reading what its meant for. Can you please explain:

1) Why an anti-depressent?
2) Is this a dangerous medication?
3) Am I going to have serious side effects?

I am 29 years old starting to get active again slowly but I am a little worried taking this medication?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 years ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hello

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Elavil contains amitriptylline.

mysticdoc :

Elavil also helps in calming down the nerve fibers carrying pain sensation.

mysticdoc :

This is not a dangerous medication.

mysticdoc :

In fact elavil can be used safely upto 75 mg daily.

mysticdoc :

It is unlikely you are going to have any significant side effects.

mysticdoc :

Common side effects can be drowsiness, dryness of mouth.

mysticdoc :

That is why this is taken at bedtime to help with the sleep as well.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT button and leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK, if you do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please ask for Mysticdoc for your future questions. Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:

do you think my doctor gave me the right medication to stop the pain? is there anything ii can do to fix the issue instead of block it?

mysticdoc :

Yes this is appropriate to stop the pain.

mysticdoc :

You can start taking natural supplements to fix the nerves.

mysticdoc :

Vitamin B12 1000 mcg daily,vitamin B6 50 mg daily, Ginkgo biloba 80 mg twice daily, Acetyl L carnitine 1200 mg daily.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

mysticdoc :