Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I was on Zoloft 150mg and I was doing great.after I got sick

Customer Question

I was on Zoloft 150mg and I was doing great.after I got sick with flue my anxiety and depression came back.now I'm in 200mg.how long it's going to take to work?why my depression came back?am I going to be ok again???
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 4 years ago.
Hi, welcome to justanswer , with antidepressive medications ,it could take certain amount of time for them to work. It is also very common to readjust the dose at the beginning until you find the correct dose for the patient . It does not mean your depression came back ,you were not taking the proper dose as consequence you begin to experience symptoms again.
After your doctor finds the proper dose, it could take 2-3 weeks for the medication to take full effect . But do not get desperate for most patients, the symptoms will improve notably ,but it takes time.
If after that time, there is not improvement your doctor will need to change Zoloft by other medication.
If you like the answer,please click accept so I can get credit for my work. I do not get credit for my work unless you click the green accept button.
If you have any additional questions or any doubts you wanna ask me, I will be here to help you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was on 150mg for over a year and after my flue my symptoms came back.why?
Over time , some patients could develop resistance to their antidepressant medication .
In your case , in which you have been taking Zoloft for one year ,this is probably what happened .
Like your body became more resistant , it was necessary to increase the dose .
That your symptoms became more evident after having the flu ,it is more coincidental .
However , when you have the flu or other infection, your immune system becomes weakened . And there is a correlation between a weakened immune system and depression . So if your body was already developing resistance , what the flu basically did was precipitated the development of the symptoms and symptoms that you were naturally going to develop ,appear even faster .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank u
You're welcome, it was a pleasure to help you.