Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have pain in my lower right leg. I was walking and then

I have pain in my lower right leg. I was walking and then it felt like it was getting tight, and now it is sore.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
When did this start, and, before that, no problem with the leg? Where exactly is the pain and is there any swelling of the leg?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This started on Friday and for several years I have had issues with my legs and no one has been able to diagnose it. Finally, I started getting prednisone treatments that help with the hip area. Now, it is just the lower right leg when I walk more than a block. This time it felt like it was swollen, but I can't tell and the pain is just there.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
How long does it take after you stop walking for the pain to subside?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This time it has continued since Friday. I think it is usually there but very very low key and walking probably aggravates it. This time it is just more persistent at a more noticeable level. It almost feels like the bone is bruised...if that makes sense.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Does this seem to be in the bone itself, or are the calf muscles tight and tender?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It started as the tight and tender and now it feels like the bone but its not the skinny bone. I squeeze and I can't feel the bone so it may be muscle because the skinny bone doesn't hurt at all.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, at first I was thinking claudication--peripheral arterial disease causing too little blood flow with muscle exertion like walking, but that should subside within a few minutes of stopping the walking. In this case, I'm concerned because you may have a deep venous thrombosis--a clot in a deep vein of the leg. If that's the case, you'd be at risk for a potentially life-threatening pulmonary embolus. I strongly advise you either to get in touch with your doctor now or otherwise get to an emergency room for Doppler venous flow studies, since, if this is DVT, you need to be on blood thinners as soon as possible.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice