Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Hi I had a CBC with Differential and most of the count seems

Hi I had a CBC with Differential and most of the count seems within normal range apart from high RDW 015.4% CV and low MPV 6.17 fL.
PLT is 00233 10^9/L.
I have been feeling very tired in the mornings for the last 4 weeks....could this be related to anemia?
I have been diagnosed with CMT 1A and I am trying to find out if there is a correlation with feeling suddenly tired?
4 weeks ago I had an episode of blacking out for 40 seconds. All EEG, ECG test showed negative. No anomalies with my heart or blood pressure. Brain MRI ok. Neurologist believes that it was unrelated to CMT and more related to stress.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.

Have you ever had a sleep study done?
Are you thin or overweight?
Do you snore?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I never had a sleep study done. I am 5.8 and 163 lbs. Quite heavy snorer according to my wife.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you.
The reason I ask about snoring and a sleep study is due to the fact that CMT 1 can be associated with sleep apnea.

If your wife also notes that you seem to stop breathing, this would also increase the suspicion for sleep apnea.
This condition can cause you to wake up without feeling rested in the morning. It can also cause excessive daytime sleepiness. People with sleep apnea fall asleep while watching tv or reading.
I would discuss the possibility of sleep apnea with your primary care doctor or neurologist. Either of them can order a sleep study if they feel you may have it.

As for your blood work, if your hemoglobin/hematocrit (Hgb/Hct) are normal along with a normal MCH/MCHC then you do not appear to be anemic and therefore this is not the cause of your fatigue or fainting episode.

Your platelet count is normal...the MPV is not a very useful test in the setting of someone who has normal platelet counts. It is often the result of lab error if it is low.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the MRI results there was a note ' small right maxilliary mucosal polyp" .
Neurologist mentioned that is quite common and should not be worried about.
Although I feel a very light pressure sensation at the back of my right eye and find difficult to breath through my nose sometimes, both symptoms seem to be highlighted when I feel stressed.
Also the back of my neck - right hand side - feels quite tight and there is additional tingling sensation on the right hand side of the scalp muscle and right leg calve muscle. More noticeable in the mornings.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
The neurologist is correct, sinus polyps are very common. The maxillary sinuses are located in your cheeks...this would not cause you any eye pain.
However, if you have chronic nasal congestion and blockage, it would be a good idea to follow up with an ENT. I do not think that the polyp itself is causing your symptoms, though, if it is small.

As for the neck symptoms...this sounds muscular in origin. When the muscles in the back of the neck are tight or in spasm, this can irritate the nerves as well, leading to a tingling sensation.

The tingling in the calf muscle may be due to a pinched nerve in the back. In order to determine where the nerve irritation is coming from, you would need to have an EMG/nerve conduction test. This is typically performed by a neurologist or a physical medicine specialist.

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States