Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My neck is stiff and sore from the middle of the back of my

My neck is stiff and sore from the middle of the back of my head down through my shoulders, almost constantly. It is worst at night, with difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep. The longer I am in one position, the more achy I become. I have c5-c6 herniated discs and have had epidural injections, but this seems to be different from my original diagnosis. Last MRI was 2 years ago. Is this muscle pain, and what would cause it. I take 10 mg Lipitor daily and have heard Lipitor can cause muscle problems. Thoughts?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Is your neck the only area of your body involved with these symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On a continual basis yes, but I am achy and a bit stiff and difficult to get moving after sitting for a long period of time or sleeping.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So you haven't had a repeat MRI of the neck? Has your doctor run blood tests to check for causes other than the disk problems?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not in the past 6 months. No repeat MRI to date. I had an accident about 8 years ago where I was thrown from a horse and my foot was caught in the stirrup. I was dragged for about 20 feet. Had a fractured pelvis and ankle. No neck problems at that time. This just feels more muscular, but it is constant.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What kind of physical therapy are you getting? Is it being supervised by a physician who actually lays hands on you and does some of the therapy himself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Currently I am not getting PT. I had gone for 3 months of PT sessions by a Physical Therapist, hands on. Helped a very little, but very temporary, just as the epidural injections were temporary. The physician himself did not do the therapy but it was done in a hospital outpatient setting. Does arthritis cause this type of pain? The neuro mentioned it. My c5-c6 discs cause numbness in my thumb and forefinger, slightly up my wrist. A little pinching at times in my elbow. I have had an EMG, but nothing seems to relate to the neck/shoulder stiffness and body aches. I have learned to live with the numbness. The neck stuff is causing the most problems.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Are the neck muscles actually tight and tender?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not to the touch. Limited movement when turning my neck. I can't sleep on my stomach because I cannot turn my neck far enough. I would say tight, not tender.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. First off, I don't think this is from the Lipitor. Second, I would repeat the MRI to look to see if there's been any further deterioration of the cervical spine and the disks. Third, no matter what the MRI shows, I would refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine MD specialist--for a customized hands-on treatment program that should allieviate most of your symptoms.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice